Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to drain the torque converter?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Before you say anything I've spent 20 minutes searching this forum and couldn't find any info so I'm starting a new thread...

Does anyone have any tips on draining the torque converter when doing a trans fluid change. The torque converter holds about 3 litres after you've dropped the pan but I want to drain the lot.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I think the only way you'll be able to do it is to take the box out and the convertor off... I think the tranny mechanics use some sort of pump when they relube a tranny which pushes the old **** out as the new stuff is installed... I haven't seen it done though... but this is what i've been told.

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
ive herd some poeple drill a hole in the bottom of the converter let it drain and simply plug it back up.....i wouldnt be doing it however id probably drill through the whole converter:yeah:

Soybean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 5-speed
i did that once! lol

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
You cant drain it.
All you can do is flush it out by draining and topping up a couple of times.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
clinster73 said:
flush it out by draining and topping up a couple of times.

thats what i did on my sedan worked a treat.

pulled the pan off cleaned the old filter with some petrol stuck it back in put the pan back on with the old gasket filled it up with dexron III drove it around the block till it got hot then came back pulled the pan off (itl be as hot as a frying pan so be carefull) put a new filter and gasket in then topped it up again the transmission was jerky before hand and after it was shifting better than my low km vt was at the time :w00t:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Last year when I had the vs exec I pulled off the trans fluid send line to the cooler at the radiator and started the engine and drained it into a container. That seemed to work pretty well. But with the series II calais I'm not sure how to disconnect the trans fluid line. It's one of those solid metal connetions.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Last year when I had the vs exec I pulled off the trans fluid send line to the cooler at the radiator and started the engine and drained it into a container. That seemed to work pretty well.

I know this thread is old but for the benefit of anyone who looks this up in the future you should never drain an auto trans this way as you are running it dry which will almost certainly shorten transmission life. The correct way to do it is to put a litre of trans fluid in over and above the full level and run the engine until you have a litre of fluid in the drain container then stop the engine and refill another litre, repeat until the trans fluid comes out clean. This way the trans is always full and wont get damaged from running dry.