Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to fix a broken VE Commodore flip key, make friends and influence people....

TAS1981

Reaction score
Ok so after my last thread was ruined some idiotic and frankly rude posts, I thought I would just take a punt on eBay and see what happened. As there were no helpful threads on this one I thought I would write one.

How to fix your key...Short story if the blade and transponder are working its a cheap fix to sort your broken flip key. Here's how...

So I bought this off eBay...
Holden Commodore VE Remote Flip KEY Shell Holden Flipkey Chev | eBay

$30 all up for just the flip part of your key. It came with a Pontiac badge, delivered pretty quick. Comprises of two half plastic shells, spring, button and new key blade and chrome shoulder.

Quality wise looks pretty good, same plastic, flip feels robust so all good. Initially I just wanted the shell and the spring really as I wanted to use the original key assembly...tuns out this is not possible as the parts are not direct fit, the button is a different size, the internals don't line up with the old key etc etc... so you have two choices....go get this key cut or do what I did.

Using a watch repair kit I knocked out the pin holding the key blade into the corner piece and tried to fit the old blade into the new corner piece. Of course it didn't fit so I used my dremmel to grind the male insert part of the blade down to the right width and so that it sat deeper in the corner piece by griding the blade shoulders a bit. The stone grinders on a dremmel do this fine, its soft metal. After this I inserted the old blade, knocked in the pin leaving me with new corner piece and old key blade. Bit fiddly, bit of extra grinding here and there until it went in.

Next the transponder. It is actually a bit of a B*tch to get out. I ground it out with a dremmel. It was glued in tight, it took time to carefully grind the plastic away from it until I was left with just the chip. You have to be careful to not grind or damage the chip, this took the longest. You cannot just pull it out. Dremmel with grind stone and a lot of plastic flying everywhere!

Eventually I got the chip all cleaned up and it just popped into the new key shell. Assemble the new button, new key corner and spring and twist to preferred tension so you get a nice strong spring motion. Remember the assembly parts are not interchangeable and didn't fit each other so you must use all the new bits. Pop case together watching for the little catch, add screw hidden behind badge and stick in badge of choice. Click new flip key to old buttons. Done.

Cost: $30
Time: 1-2 hours depending on method of grinding plastic off transponder.

You do not need to re-programme anything this way or pay to grind a key. I kept the new key blade just in case I break one later.

Pics:
Pretty messed up inside.....Holden Quality! Transponder holder in old key ground out and popped into new shell

New blade and corner piece with tools used to remove, had to dremmel old key blade a bit to fit.

Screw hidden behind badge (there is a little catch on the key that a tiny flatblade pops apart to release the two shell halves)

Et Voila...

TAS

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
Thanks @Tas1981. Search results kept bringing me here, I had less of a pain as the key-shell I bought fit correctly with the old key blade, and it came with a new rubber/silicone membrane (I'm hearing that they don't usually). I opted to use the OEM spring, as it was slightly thicker/stronger. The standard tension appears to be half a turn on the OEM key, but I put about one and a half turns. My release button is also a little lower to the keyshell, but works perfectly.

I managed to remove the transponder by cutting down the sides with a hacksaw blade, and breaking off the bottom plastic that was stuck. It just slid into the new body quite tight (without glue)
IMG_20150106_002341.jpg

Also it's worthwhile having a new CR2032 battery handy (they're usually about $1 at junk stores), unless you want to have to re-open the whole thing when it goes dead (I'll pass on that)

Final result...
IMG_20150106_004707.jpg

Edit: Credit where it's due...
I bought VE HOLDEN Commodore Compatible Remote Flip Key Shell from keyremotech on eBay for $12.99.

Froodles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey Tas
The images you attached to the post for removing the transponder are no longer available, any chance you still have them.

jabs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z
Ok so after my last thread was ruined some idiotic and frankly rude posts, I thought I would just take a punt on eBay and see what happened. As there were no helpful threads on this one I thought I would write one.

How to fix your key...Short story if the blade and transponder are working its a cheap fix to sort your broken flip key. Here's how...

So I bought this off eBay...
Holden Commodore VE Remote Flip KEY Shell Holden Flipkey Chev | eBay

$30 all up for just the flip part of your key. It came with a Pontiac badge, delivered pretty quick. Comprises of two half plastic shells, spring, button and new key blade and chrome shoulder.

Quality wise looks pretty good, same plastic, flip feels robust so all good. Initially I just wanted the shell and the spring really as I wanted to use the original key assembly...tuns out this is not possible as the parts are not direct fit, the button is a different size, the internals don't line up with the old key etc etc... so you have two choices....go get this key cut or do what I did.

Using a watch repair kit I knocked out the pin holding the key blade into the corner piece and tried to fit the old blade into the new corner piece. Of course it didn't fit so I used my dremmel to grind the male insert part of the blade down to the right width and so that it sat deeper in the corner piece by griding the blade shoulders a bit. The stone grinders on a dremmel do this fine, its soft metal. After this I inserted the old blade, knocked in the pin leaving me with new corner piece and old key blade. Bit fiddly, bit of extra grinding here and there until it went in.

Next the transponder. It is actually a bit of a B*tch to get out. I ground it out with a dremmel. It was glued in tight, it took time to carefully grind the plastic away from it until I was left with just the chip. You have to be careful to not grind or damage the chip, this took the longest. You cannot just pull it out. Dremmel with grind stone and a lot of plastic flying everywhere!

Eventually I got the chip all cleaned up and it just popped into the new key shell. Assemble the new button, new key corner and spring and twist to preferred tension so you get a nice strong spring motion. Remember the assembly parts are not interchangeable and didn't fit each other so you must use all the new bits. Pop case together watching for the little catch, add screw hidden behind badge and stick in badge of choice. Click new flip key to old buttons. Done.

Cost: $30
Time: 1-2 hours depending on method of grinding plastic off transponder.

You do not need to re-programme anything this way or pay to grind a key. I kept the new key blade just in case I break one later.

Pics:
Pretty messed up inside.....Holden Quality! Transponder holder in old key ground out and popped into new shell

New blade and corner piece with tools used to remove, had to dremmel old key blade a bit to fit.

Screw hidden behind badge (there is a little catch on the key that a tiny flatblade pops apart to release the two shell halves)

Et Voila...

TAS
Tas do you still have these photos or could you please describe or post new photos which show the section of the non-flip key that is the transponder? I dont want to start hacking at it without knowing the limits of cutting.
Cheers

TAS1981

Reaction score
Hi - not been here for a while but happened to check!
I never had the non-flip key so I can't help you there. Ping me your email and I'll send you the pics of the flip key. It was in the key section rather than the button section, it was a pig to get out.
Tom

Fir3b0x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportswagon

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks mate, I just got my VE SS and I'm trying to get a flip key instead of the normal ugly one.
Got a VE SS and want to swap the ugly non-flip to a flip.

Can you post a pic of exactly where the transponder is please?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.