Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to fix airbag light show on dash and lost of horn

peter1

peter1
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2
My air bag dash light was showing and i lost my horn i checked the fuses and relays there were all good. Then i checked the horn by using a wiring an earth to the horn connection and the horn worked. i removed the all the fuses and wiring from the steering column for both the horn and air bag. I removed the airbag then the steering wheel and the clock spring and replaced the clock spring and and put it back together. I put the fuses back and tested the horn it works then started the car and the airbag wasn't showing on the dash and took the car for a drive and all good now.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You need to see someone who has the right type of scantool to read the error codes from the SRS module if the SRS airbag dashlight is on..It will have an error code stored which will point to what the problem is in the SRS systems.The SRS airbag light can not be turned off, and logged errors cant be cleared any other way that I know of..
Heres a list of SRS error codes just to give you an idea of the different SRS errors that will turn on the SRS dashlight.
DTC CODE DESCRIPTION
13 Driver's Airbag Circuit Short to Earth
15 Driver's Airbag Circuit Short to Battery
23 Passenger's Airbag Circuit Short to Earth
25 Passenger's Airbag Circuit Short to Battery
31 Driver's Airbag Loop Resistance High
32 Driver's Airbag Loop Resistance Low
33 Passenger's Airbag Loop Resistance High
34 Passenger's Airbag Loop Resistance Low
43 SRS Warning Lamp Short to Battery
44 SRS Warning Lamp Circuit Fault
48 Ignition Input Voltage Low
49 Ignition Input Voltage High
53 Configuration Mis-Match
55 Sensing Diagnostic Module Fault
66 Airbag Deployment Commanded

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My air bag dash light was showing and i lost my horn i checked the fuses and relays there were all good. Then i checked the horn by using a wiring an earth to the horn connection and the horn worked. i removed the all the fuses and wiring from the steering column for both the horn and air bag. I removed the airbag then the steering wheel and the clock spring and replaced the clock spring and and put it back together. I put the fuses back and tested the horn it works then started the car and the airbag wasn't showing on the dash and took the car for a drive and all good now.

So what you are saying is that you removed the airbag fail light by replacing the clock spring....if so what was wrong with the old clock spring. I was always told you cannot kill the light except with a Tech1 scan tool....but maybe you've discoverd something. More info please.

Last edited:

peter1

peter1
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2
Before i took clock spring and the steering wheel i uncliped the backing from the clock spring and the white plastic ribbon with wiring running through it unrolled it was completely cut i can take photos of the clockspring and ribbon. i even changed the dash light from led to normal dash light. i turn the ignition on the airbag lights up and about 10 - 15 seconds and the light goes out.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Before i took clock spring and the steering wheel i uncliped the backing from the clock spring and the white plastic ribbon with wiring running through it unrolled it was completely cut i can take photos of the clockspring and ribbon. i even changed the dash light from led to normal dash light. i turn the ignition on the airbag lights up and about 10 - 15 seconds and the light goes out.

The SRS dashlight should light up for approximately 3.5 seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the on position.It should then go off.This is to show that the SRS is in working order with no problems or error codes logged.If it does not do this,there is a problem somewhere with the SRS systems.If your SRS light is staying on for 10 -15 seconds,then switching off there is definitely something wrong somewhere..You really need to see someone who has a suitable scantool that can access the SRS module to test the SRS systems.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Actually it sounds to me like someone has wired the airbag light into another circuit...maybe the seatbelt light circuit which goes out in 10-15 secs.....I've seen this done previously to fool mechanics/inspectors when they do the roadworthy. There are probably many hundreds of cars out there with inoperative airbags that the drivers are unaware of. Years ago I had a mate who worked on Parramatta road - the longest car yard in the world...and many dodgy dealers would wire oil pressure lights into charge lights etc to fool buyers. Caveat emptor. So you may have the airbag fitted but it may just be sitting there and not wired in.
It will be expensive to fix if this is what has happened...depends on how safe you want to be in your car I guess.

peter1

peter1
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2
i timed it with a stop watch it turns off between 3.5 - to 4 secs