Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] How to fix & clear SVS alarm (service vehicle soon) code

Jimmythegreek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
My car is a 08/2005 VZ Commodore. If you are getting a code telling you to service vehicle soon (SVS) this has nothing to do with a service issue. I know there are instructions how to clear a service reminder alarm but that is a different issue altogether. The Service vehicle soon alarm is a faulty oil pressure switch.

There is no way to clear that until you replace it. When done you do not have to have code reset it will clear its self after a couple of starts. I bought it off eBay, cost $30 free postage there are heaps of choices, I bought one listed as a genuine Holden part, it matched the original part exactly in looks, was made in Mexico like the original, just that the part numbers were different but still looked exactly the same. It fitted perfectly and had a 12 month warranty.

The oil pressure switch is on the passenger side of the motor nearer to the front end of the motor as you face the car, it is just below the black cover, you don't need to remove the cover you can see it. The way to do a quick check if leaking (and you have no error code) is to swipe your fingers under the oil pressure switch and see if there is a bit of oil there, if there is needs replacing.

To remove it you need a 1 1/6 socket or ringed spanner (the socket was easier to use then the ring spanner). It comes off really easy and just remember to put some oil on the O ring so you don't split it, if you put the O ring on dry it will split. When I replaced mine it had oil in the actual plug connection / pin area, I blew it out with compressed air before plugging it back in, check yours and clean if necessary.

In regards to the service reminder alarm you just clear that by turning on your ignition until the red lights are showing on the dash and then press the two up / down buttons (under the mode and set buttons) at the same time until it says there are no service reminders set. Good luck I hope this helps out some people out.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The "Service Vehicle Soon" warning can definitely be caused by other issues, like running lean for example.
Your statement that it is the oil pressure switch is kind of incorrect.
Simply put, it is a warning for you to seek mechanical attention due to a problem being detected. Check your owners manual for an exact explanation.
Something on your vehicle obviously needs service/attention if you get this warning.

Last edited:

Lifepo4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67
Apologies for reviving and old post. It’s correct to say the SVS warning could be one of a hundred things but I’d give it a 50/50 chance of being caused by an oil pressure sender, so for some people it might be worth chancing $45 on a quick fix.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.