Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How to fix speedo VS Commodore

marvinstokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Great to hear from another person who's not afraid to 'have a go'. Pretty good to do it all in two hours, it makes me feel good that my post has been of benefit to you and that you saved some cash!!...Marvin.

marvinstokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hi guys, What abour where there are digits missing on the speed alert area. Like, for example. instead of an 8 it looks like an 8 without a top. Im thinking maybe the LCD isn't getting full connectivitiy?
Im about to buy a 1995 VS and thats one of the things wrong with it and i was looking at fixing myself.

You will probably have to get yourself a replacement unit. The same thing happened to mine but I was able to get a second hand unit from ebay for $20. It is easy to replace, just two screws above speedo and then prise the facia off with your fingers. The old unit will push out towards you from the rear with a little bit of persuasion.

minjayd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina 5.0l
You will probably have to get yourself a replacement unit. The same thing happened to mine but I was able to get a second hand unit from ebay for $20. It is easy to replace, just two screws above speedo and then prise the facia off with your fingers. The old unit will push out towards you from the rear with a little bit of persuasion.

gday, what if its in your trip comp, mine is missing pixels and can no longer read fuel useage, any ideas wether this can be repaired:idea3:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
gday, what if its in your trip comp, mine is missing pixels and can no longer read fuel useage, any ideas wether this can be repaired:idea3:

You will need to glue the mount screws in the trip computer. You have 6 mount tabs that hold in the LCD's nice and tight. They let go and the pressure is off and you get missing segments. When apart keep all the small plasic bits and glue back into place. I use the 5 min stuff.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
great write up!!!!
my speedo has started bouncing again as in it wont work for 5 minutes after i start it up then it kinda bounces up and down, and once i hit the dash it will work again...so im definatly goin 2 try this

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
great write up!!!!
my speedo has started bouncing again as in it wont work for 5 minutes after i start it up then it kinda bounces up and down, and once i hit the dash it will work again...so im definatly goin 2 try this

May also be the voltage regulator behind the speedo.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
i took the cluster out just before, and had a look, nothing is broken and all is fine..

what do u mean voltage regulator 88greenvn? has it come loose, broken away? will i have to take the cluster apart to fix it?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
i took the cluster out just before, and had a look, nothing is broken and all is fine..

what do u mean voltage regulator 88greenvn? has it come loose, broken away? will i have to take the cluster apart to fix it?

Speedo out, tacho out if you have not pulled 1 apart before.

Then the voltage PCB will be the only thing you see looking at the cluster. Unclip the tag connector at the top and then pop the PCB out. Have a good look at the solder joints - all of them.

If your having issues with the cluster gauges - this is a good place to start and very very common issue with the clusters.

wildeagle44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
thanks, very helpfull

Sharkzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS auto wagon
fix to speedo

~S~
G'day all.
great heads up on the speedo fix. Got my wagon back from the doctors for rego and aircon and had found the odometer and the milage tick over not working (which it was befoer I took it in :hmmm:) I couldn't be bothered with the hassle in talking to the guy in the repariers,so I want to fix it myself. I gather that the odometer and the milage works in tandem, what I would like to know is do they work on cable or electric ? and where does the info come from ? the motor or a cable from the wheels?. and is it possible to see a diagram of this. It's an auto wagon V6. I figure it was the mechanic or the aircon guys that have not plugged something back in or have loosened a connection somewhere.

great site and some exceelent help and info
thanks
Sharkzz