Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How To: Fix the VS V6 4 Wire O2 sensor earth problem – Known Holden Problem

holdenrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
4 wiring o2 sensors. but in ecu there have 2 plugs connect not 3 plugs connect like vs ..

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
sorry mate, i dont have any wiring diags for the VR ecu atm.

Slippy_Trippy

Unicorn Shepard
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II Commodore Acclaim
So main benefit of 4 over 2?

I have the 2 wire version and wondering i it's worth the effort to look into putting in the 4 wire.

Cheers

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
4 wire just starts reading earlier due to it heating faster and also stays at a hot temperature.they are good if you have gone to extractors and have the O2 sensor further down the line than normal as they can cool when idling at lights and at gentle cruise from not enough exhaust heat.putting them ins easy it just requires 12v from switched ignition so it turns on when the engine is about to start and earth as well as the 2 feeds to the ecu you allready have

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Just thought id say I did this fix by following the workguide.
My car hasnt blown up and it seems to be working fine. Im yet to replace the o2 sensors (thanks Auspost) but it seems like a solid idea.

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I am in no doubt the above how-to works well, I just want to understand a little more about it

1) I was comparing the wiring diagrams in my Gregory's to that posted on Dr. Bobs website. They are quite different (attached is my interpretation, with the fix show above by dotted lines on the right hand side). The wiring diagram in the Gregory's manual is actually very similar to the fix described here, except for the use of pins A1, B1 and B2 in the Gregory's manual (which are not present in the other wiring diagram). Did Holden fix the wiring problem in later models (Series II or III)?

2) I am no auto-electrician, I can only barely understand the wiring diagrams, and I don't understand the origins of the current leakage. However, I was wondering why you couldn't splice directly into the negative heater wire at the loom in the engine bay and run an earth directly to the block?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 8,219
Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the current leakage issue occurs because both the sensor and the heater part of the O2 sensor share earth connections. this is bad. the problem is somewhere inside the loom and would require unwrapping to find the earth wire links. in later models i believe holden kept these earths seperate so no more problems

removing the earth wiring for the heater from the loom and earthing in the engine bay is a good idea. i'm working on this mod when i've finished this post. i'm making a tempory connection in the engine bay untill such time as i can mod the wiring loom properly.

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
Thanks Immortality - let me know how it goes.