Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How To: Fix the VS V6 4 Wire O2 sensor earth problem – Known Holden Problem

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
More Pictures will be added later, this is all i have so far...

DISCLAIMER: This a guide only, by following this process I take no responsibility what so ever. If you bodge it, fry your ECU or your car turns into a troll and consumes your insides. You do so at your own risk. Now with the formalities out the way... let’s begin

The Problem: The 4 wire oxygen sensors include an internal heater, which aids the sensor to reach operating temperature quicker than relying on the exhaust to heat up the sensor. The heater circuit interferes with the signal received by the ECU from the 02 circuit, due to both circuits sharing the earth. This is the main fault for increased fuel consumption, and often fault codes logged:

Code 44 - RH Oxygen Sensor Lean (O2)
Code 45 - RH Oxygen Sensor Rich (O2)
Code 64 - LH Oxygen Sensor Lean (O2)
Code 65 - LH Oxygen Sensor Rich (O2)
Code 76 - Air/Fuel ratio variation between left and right banks
Code 78 - Air/Fuel ratio variation between left and right banks

The Solution: To earth both circuits to a good solid earth point on the chassis somewhere, then replace both existing O2 sensors with genuine new items. Even if you have recently installed new O2 sensors, these might have been prematurely failed without logging an exact code. If you want to see the full benefit of this fix, replace your O2 sensors after completing the earth fix. Example: I completed the earth fix, drove around for 2 weeks prior to installing the new O2 sensors and my air/fuel gauge showed varied results, immediately after installing new O2 sensors instant readings of 14.7 displayed.

This guide recommends new O2 sensors with the fix.

This guide replaces the need to cut the pink wire! if you have cut the pink wire, my advice is to follow this guide and fix the issue properly.

What’s needed:
* Common Sense, I know we all have some
* Soldering iron & solder
* 10cm length of wire
* 50cm length of wire
* Side cutters
* Small pointy nose pliers
* Stanley knife or blade.
* 1x Ring electrical connector (crimps on wire and looks like a loop/washer)
* Electrical tape (normally I would suggest Heat shrink, but we aren’t cutting wires)
* Screw drivers both flat and star
* 2x New Genuine O2 sensors: Part #25312184
* Couple hours and a couple of cans

Here’s how to fix up the earthing issue

Gaining access to the ECU
* Undo the 3-4 plastic screws underneath the glovebox between it and the firewall.
* Open the glovebox
* Remove the black pin on the right hand side
* Gently remove the glovebox compartment.
* Open the passengers door,
* Unscrew the 3 screws in the vent (dash side, not the door vents) and 1 screw visable under the end of the dash where the glovebox hinges on the left hand side.
* Using a small screw driver, lift the beeding on the door sill and peel it back about a foot.
* Gently remove the kick panel by pull the bottom in the centre, the back will pop out first, then prise the door seal out a little to let the side of the kick panel out. Lift the sill panel up and the kick panel should pull away.
* using the small flat blade screw driver, lift the tabs at the sides and bottom of the ECU to release it from its holder.

Fixing the Earth at the ECU

Disconnect your Negative Battery Terminal prior to carrying out any electrical work.

* locate 3 black wires
- 2 wires on 32pin blue plug, pink socket – D14 and D16
- 1 wire on 24pin blue plug, pink socket – A2
attachment.php

* Strip the 3 wires back using a blade by ringing the insulation (slicing around) in one spot, then ringing it again 5-8mm below it. Then u can slice along the wire from ring to ring and peel that section out.
62921d1240152372-how-fix-vs-v6-4-wire-o2-sensor-earth-problem-known-holden-problem-image027.jpg

* Get your 10cm wire and strip 10mm from both ends
* Get your 50cm wire and strip 10mm from both ends
* Twist one end of both 10cm & 50cm together (don’t solder yet)
* Twist your joined wires around both D14 and D16.
* Solder the 4 wires, then wrap with electrical tape.
62922d1240152372-how-fix-vs-v6-4-wire-o2-sensor-earth-problem-known-holden-problem-image030.jpg

* Wrap the other end of 10cm wire around wire A2
* Solder this together and wrap with electrical tape.
62923d1240152372-how-fix-vs-v6-4-wire-o2-sensor-earth-problem-known-holden-problem-image031.jpg

* Crimp on the loop crimp on electrical connector to the other end of the 50cm wire and solder the wire to the connector for good measure.
* Locate an earth point on the chassis, clean it and then screw the loop connector firm.

Put back the kick panel and glove box together by reversal of the above. Install your new O2 sensors and your done!

References: I have results and all pre testing prior to providing this how-to in this thread: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/92957-too-lean-one-bank.html

Cheers
ephect

Attachments

• Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 19,746
  • Image030.jpg
    Image030.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 24,251
  • Image031.jpg
    Image031.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 20,133
  • VS V6 ECU Plug Pinout.gif
    VS V6 ECU Plug Pinout.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 28,837
Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
post #2 reserved

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
hey buddy...how do i get the ECU out of it's holder?...im stumped....also im trying to do it in semi dark conditions...so i'll try in the morning

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
lol all good mate, its kinda hard at night as the holder is black. get a bright torch!

a little tip do the sides first, as the bottom tabs get caught on the casing screws. from memory there are 6-8 tabs 2 on each side of the casing (cant remember if the top has tabs also)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Great write-up mate.
And good pics.
Thanks 4 that.
Can you come around and do mine:whistling

Last edited:

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
can you just install the 2 wire sensors from the vt and vx's? and get rid of the heater all together?

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
can you just install the 2 wire sensors from the vt and vx's? and get rid of the heater all together?

very early series 1 VS's had a 2 wire sensor then it changed to 4 wire, as did the wiring connector on the ECU side of the sensor to accommodate the 4 wire... so I'd say the 2 wire plug wouldn't fit the new 4 wire connector??

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Great write-up mate.
And good pics.
Thanks 4 that.
Can you come around and do mine:whistling

LOL thanks mate, send me the flight details and i'll pop over :thumbsup:

the heater in the O2 sensor is a great idea, just they stuffed up a little with the wiring. most of the time i get instant readouts on start up (after this mod) and i know when the ECU is still in open loop. I'd cut the pink wire about a year ago which disables the heater, but i should have earthed the o2 circuit along time ago. keep the heater, a real benefit over the non heated.

very early series 1 VS's had a 2 wire sensor then it changed to 4 wire, as did the wiring connector on the ECU side of the sensor to accommodate the 4 wire... so I'd say the 2 wire plug wouldn't fit the new 4 wire connector??

correct on the early commodores. you could rewire a 2wire o2 sensor to plug into the 4wire plug on the loom, but for the hassle every time you replace the o2 sensors, not worth it. do the mod, keep the heater ;)

holdenrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
hey, i have issue on o2 sensor and i just got oxygen sensor replace 1 month as i found there have no signal on the scantool, as didnt get any faults code. sound like need to replace o2 sensor again or get bad earth or what ??? thanks

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hi mate, being a VR i cant guarantee that this fix will work. does your o2 sensors have 2wires or 4?

Last edited: