Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to fix these error codes..

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
cleaned it out... now im only getting Code 31 - Theft Deterrent Signal missing but i think that could be because the battery in my fob is dying or 1 of the metal tabs on the ignition is broken off.. sometimes i have to hold the unlock button while turning the key to start

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
For VSV6 models, the workshop manual says that
"code 31 will set when the BCM (theft deterrent circuit) does not return a signal to the ECU when the ignition is switched on to permit operation of the injectors. When this code is set, there will be a one second delay in starter motor operation after turning the ignition to the start position.".
Theres no mention there that it could be an ignition key or key reader problem.. It sounds more to me like these cars sometimes have one off or temporary serial communication problems between the BCM and the ECU. Ive seen this code logged on a hell of a lot of commmodores over the years and it doesnt seem to worry anything.. If the key reader or key were faulty, the engine wont just have a one second delay when its starting, it wont even attempt to crank over if the key cant be read by the BCM for any reason. Going on how the manual explains it, it seems to me that when the key is turned to the ON position, the BCM reads the keyfob to make sure its ok to give permission to the ECU to let the injectors run at startup.. Then when the ignition is turned to START position, the ECU signals the BCM and it gets a return signal saying whether its ok to start or not...

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
must be same for ss coz it takes a second for it to try and start after i turn the key. its only sometimes that i have to hold the unlock while starting... if not it wont crank at all (like its in drive)... it doesnt bother me, i was just hoping it wouldnt cause anything serious.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
cleaned it out... now im only getting Code 31 - Theft Deterrent Signal missing but i think that could be because the battery in my fob is dying or 1 of the metal tabs on the ignition is broken off.. sometimes i have to hold the unlock button while turning the key to start

That would be it wouldn't it? The BCM and key fob communicate by those contacts. If one is missing, half the time the contact won't be made.

skye19

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I'm having a similar problem, half the time it starts straight away, but the other times the only way it starts is if I hold the key in the crank position for around 10 seconds? This can be quite dangerous as it does stall randomly sometimes when slowing down in 1st or 2nd (that doesn't really bother me). Any ideas?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have code 38 but can not find anywhere what error 38 means.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I found the reference below. Not sure if it applies to your case:

GM OBD Trouble Code 38
By Jim Taddei, May 1, 2009
Torque Converter Clutch Brake Switch Circuit Error
The ECM monitors the Torque Converter Clutch Brake switch to determine if the brakes are applied or not. It uses this signal to help determine if the Torque Converter Clutch should be applied.

Fault Code Description
  • 38 - Torque Converter Clutch Brake switch circuit error
Symptoms
  • Torque Converter Clutch Brake switch will not come on or operates erratically
Common Problems
  • Faulty or out of adjustment Torque Converter Clutch brake switch

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks Black VXGTS. I have an auto.