Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to: fix VERY noisy lifters.

<atomicL93>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5 speed (sold), VS wagon
Im unsure if theres already tutorials about this. Alot of you might already know how to do this but here it is anyway.

So last night i wasnt in the best mood, decided to throw the stockies on the back and go outta town (on private property) for some skids with a mate.

Went out there for a couple hours had fun, came back and as im driving up my street i wound down my window and could hear a clunking sound, kept thinking it was just the tyres, pulled into my driveway and oh i was wrong, it was the lifters.

This is what it sounded like: YouTube - vid0032

To fix this what you will need is:
Omg_a_pic313.jpg

-4.7 liters of new oil (I use nulon 20w-50)
-New oil filter
-Nulon engine oil flush
-Nulon lifter free

First you need to pour the bottle of Nulon engine oil flush into your motor, start it up and let idle for about 10-15 minutes.

After that drain your oil and take off the old filter, put the new filter in (remember to wipe some oil around the rubber ring so it wont stick) and screw the sump plug back in.

Then add 4.7 liters of oil into your motor, followed by the bottle of Nulon lifter free.

Start it up and it will still be ticking, but leave idling for about 5 minutes and it will stop ticking.

And there you go, all better :) if this didnt work you may be in need of some new lifters.

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
Im unsure if theres already tutorials about this. Alot of you might already know how to do this but here it is anyway.

So last night i wasnt in the best mood, decided to throw the stockies on the back and go outta town (on private property) for some skids with a mate.

Went out there for a couple hours had fun, came back and as im driving up my street i wound down my window and could hear a clunking sound, kept thinking it was just the tyres, pulled into my driveway and oh i was wrong, it was the lifters.

This is what it sounded like: YouTube - vid0032

To fix this what you will need is:
Omg_a_pic313.jpg

-4.7 liters of new oil (I use nulon 20w-50)
-New oil filter
-Nulon engine oil flush
-Nulon lifter free

First you need to pour the bottle of Nulon engine oil flush into your motor, start it up and let idle for about 10-15 minutes.

After that drain your oil and take off the old filter, put the new filter in (remember to wipe some oil around the rubber ring so it wont stick) and screw the sump plug back in.

Then add 4.7 liters of oil into your motor, followed by the bottle of Nulon lifter free.

Start it up and it will still be ticking, but leave idling for about 5 minutes and it will stop ticking.

And there you go, all better :) if this didnt work you may be in need of some new lifters.

yeh that sounded ***d is it fixed now?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
new lifters would also fix the problem properly

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
+1 for new lifters and rite oil

<atomicL93>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5 speed (sold), VS wagon
yeh that sounded ***d is it fixed now?
yeah its all good now runs fine and cant hear the lifters ticking anymore.

new lifters would also fix the problem properly
will be going with new lifters when the vl gets turboed, this is more of a temporary fix.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
thats a mad ticking...
there is a thread on Calias Turbo for a propper fix. as in lifters out and cleaned properly and flushed and put back in.
its in good detail on a how to
as u stated a Temp Fix :p