Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to fix VS steering moan problem

pursuit_special

Legal Expert
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 1996 Series 1
I bought my VS recently and i love it, except there was a small problem when i got it. Whenever i turned the steering wheel especially at low speed, it would moan and vibrate, it sounded like there was a bit of resistance somewhere. upon initial investigation, it appeared the diagnosis was anywhere from broken power steering pump, low fluid, etc, but upon looking further i managed to eliminate those problems when i found a straightforward explanation on the noise.

A website found (which i cant remember now, sorry) had a step by step guide on how to fix it.

There is a rubber gromit surrounding the steering shaft near the firewall, in the engine bay, that causes the problem. It gets old and hard and looses its lube. To locate it, look under your brake master cylinder which is a vertical circular object located opposite the dash on the other side of the firewall.

It is relatively accessible from the top, just remember to do it while the engine is relatively cold, coz u mite get a nasty burn from the exhaust system. You will need a flathead screwdriver, put a good dose of grease on the flat bit and stick it in between the gromit and the shaft.

Park your car on the dirt so you can swing the wheel around and then put some more in another location in the gromit.

Once you have put it in 2 different spots go to a car park and just keep turning in circles to spread the grease around.

My mate dave fixed mine and it is such an improvement!! the steering is so much lighter and there is absolutely no noise , its as if i have a new car!

I hope this can help somebody out. Please reply if this has worked for you as well

Cheers

S\C

Jimmy2228

Jimmy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Ute 5spd
Ahhh i recently bought a VS too and I have always wandered what that noise is!

Thanks for the explanation and i will give it a go ASAP and let you know how it all goes.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
A. this is the wrong section for this sort of thread.
B. this has been covered before
Sorry to be killjoy but yer, live and learn ha.
P.S On a positive you have already helps someone so:thumbsup:

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
A top tip. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

pursuit_special

Legal Expert
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 1996 Series 1
Ahhh i recently bought a VS too and I have always wandered what that noise is!

Thanks for the explanation and i will give it a go ASAP and let you know how it all goes.

Yes. Sorry i'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to forums.

Good to hear my tip is well received.

caekmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR ACCLAIM
it sounds to me more like you have air in the P/S system, raise the front of your car so the wheels arnt touching the ground and can be moved freely. fill up the p/s fluid to full then turn the wheels from lock to lock several times with the engine off, fill up the fluid to full again and repeat the process with the engine on, keep filling it up untill it remains constant. you should only have to top it up 2-3 times, then lower it to the ground and ur done

good luck if you haven't already fixed it

pursuit_special

Legal Expert
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 1996 Series 1
oh ye i did that too at the time. it didnt make any difference to the level so im guessing it was all ok. but not a hint of noise since i lubed the gromit up so im happy.

Thanks for your interest