Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to flush a radiator On vtii

Jordan!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTii 99
Howdy all.
Just had a look under my radiator cap, and it's all brown sludge, stuck my finger in the radiator, even more brown sludge.

So, I figure it's time to flush it and clean the bugger out.
Only problem, I don't really know how?

Sorry if this has been posted before, I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

Cheers guys.

sicksix

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 98 hsv clubsport
take the bottom hose off and drain the radiator.then take the radiator cap off and flush with the garden hose until water comes out clear.then replace the radiator hose then fill with coolant.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I think someone needs to start a "How to use the search function on justcommodores"

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
The correct way involves removing the knock sensors to flush the whole engine but I don't think anyone does it lol.

This is what I do.
1- remove lower radiator hose and drain coolant .
2- flush out radiator with a garden hose until clean water comes out.
3- put lower radiator hose back on (not too tight as it will need to be removed again) and fill radiator with water.
4-put the radiator cap back on, start the engine and put the heater on high on max heat.
5-wait until the engine warms up and the radiator fan turns on, this might take 20mins, once the fan starts working wait another 4-5 mins so that the engine can be flushed properly then turn the engine off
6- wait for the engine to cool down a bit then drain the water by removing the bottom radiator hose again. Put the radiator hose back on
7- repeat steps 4-7 again (optional. this is what I to clean the system a bit more).
8- add your coolant to the radiator until full, make sure the lower radiator hose is done up nice and tight.
9- bleed the cooling system by turning on the engine and putting the heater on again, leave the radiator cap off and add coolant to the system. What I do is cut the bottom off a plastic bottle to use it as a funnel and wrap electrical tape around the top to make it leakproof i then stick it in the radiator and add coolant to it until it is full. Keep adding coolant until the radiator fan has turned on and the radiator is completely filled to the brim.

In the next day or so remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold and check if the coolant is full, if not top up. Check again for the next couple of days.

This takes me about an hour and a half