Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Flush A V6 Cooling System

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
wal said:
what about the 2 or 3 pills your supposed to put in the top radiator hose the supposed to seal the water pump or somthing of the sort .....are they nessecary...wal

i dont bother with these coolant tablets to be honest.. as they are not to protect the waterpump.. when the VS commodore came out, holden offered it with a 3 year extended warranty.. now the purpose of the coolant tablets was to seal any minute holes in the radiator/cooling system that would see the car come back under warranty for repairs...
if the seal in the water pump is going to perish, its going to perish whether the tablets are in the system or not

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
ssute57l said:
Why would you disconnect top hose, you probably would only let more air in there, the whole idea of having a bleed screw is to avoid this. This bleed screew is located on the highest point of the system , let the pressure build up and bleed a few times to make sure as when your system may need to blow air out of heater core etc.

how would you be letting more air in, when the thermostat is closed? the air is exiting via the little valve in the thermostat
as ive said before, this is the way i do it and always have.. it was the way i was also taught (i was a mechanic)
if you want to do it your way, thats fine, im just providing advice as to which way i think its done. its up to you whether you chose to follow it or not

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
ChRiDDa said:
how would you be letting more air in, when the thermostat is closed? the air is exiting via the little valve in the thermostat
as ive said before, this is the way i do it and always have.. it was the way i was also taught (i was a mechanic)
if you want to do it your way, thats fine, im just providing advice as to which way i think its done. its up to you whether you chose to follow it or not

Thats fine, but im giving advise to you as a 21yrs old former mech the correct procedure to bleeding air out of a V6 holden motor, i will do it my way as this is the recomended procedure.

If air is comming out of the thermostate, fluid is replacing it from the top hose so now there is a air gap, if however you open a bleed valve and the air travells to the highest point and bleeds out under pressure then there is no chance of air replacing it, only coolant from your resevior.

I don't know everything but i try to give the right advise, just couse you were taught a certain way doesn't mean it is correct, listen and learn, nobody is shooting you down!!!

Last edited:

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Chridda.. The images are gone..

If you want me to host them for you, I'd very happily do it for you..

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
ahh yes.. whoopsies! sorry bout that lads, changed to another website but i forgot to update the links!
Thanks heaps for the offer Shounak
got a few more FAQ's coming up, might need some assistance in storing some images, as i think im just about at the limit with my optusnet account
Cheers!

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
No worries mate.. I've got 10-20mb of bandwidth (possibly more) just gathering dust with my ISP..

You could also use image shack, it's free..

groucho

Reaction score
Time warp

ChRiDDa said:
Bloody hell free advice is great we can either accept or refuse it but....... at the top of the page you made a disclaimer that you WERE'NT a mechanic several entries later you are. I want this light speed apprenticeship please. Details of course?:my:

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
i WAS a mechanic, for around 9 months or so, until i decided it wasnt for time and that i wanted to head back to uni!
did a certificate II in automotive - light vehicle at swinburne!
that was it :yeah:

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
does anyone know how to bleed the air out on a series 1 vn?
cause the thermostat is at the back of the engine and you cant get to it.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
_A_D_A_M_ said:
does anyone know how to bleed the air out on a series 1 vn?
cause the thermostat is at the back of the engine and you cant get to it.

Leave the pressure cap off the surge tank and run the car with the heater on full hot setting until the radiator fan cuts in. You will have to watch the tank carefully though, and be ready to put the pressure cap back on fast as it can rapidly overflow once the engine is at the temp where the fan cuts in.

That's how i've done it in the past and not had trouble with airlocks or anything.