Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Flush A V6 Cooling System

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
thanks mate it worked a treat:thumbsup:

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
No worries. Just done mine again after replacing a welch plug today.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
good good but when you put the top rad hose on you would be letting in a POO load of air. It might not be in the block but it still in the system. Chances are its going to make its way back to the block. Not putting you down mate just trying to correct a mistake.

The correct way to do it is bolt up top hose then fill up and run engine
continue toping up till full
when no more will go in, undo bleeder screw on top of thermostat housing. (rad cap on) wait till water starts spurting out.. Let it got for a few seconds The tighten up bleeder valve. Some people may like to repeat that process. Make sure overflow bottle is filled to max.

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
what do you do if there is no bleeder screw?

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I think he may be referring to the original post. I've not head of a different way of bleeding a cooling system without a bleed valve other than what I described. Is yours going ok now?

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
as far as i can tell.
ive only taken it for a drive once cause i only have my L's.

but before i flushed it the temp gauge sat over half all the time now it has only gone up 2 lines.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
is it actually necessary to remove the engine belt?

can the process be done (all the steps mentioned) without removing it?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
is it actually necessary to remove the engine belt?

can the process be done (all the steps mentioned) without removing it?

Not necessary unless you find it hard to undo the bottom radiator hose at the engine.

*My 2c Worth...

You should bleed the system from the bleed screw on the thermostat housing while the thermostat opens with the radiator hoses all connected...

You should also let the system reach full temperature and pressurize...checking for leaks in all cooling system connectors.

Check that the over flow bottle is at least half full...Then once the cooling system has reached full temperature and pressurized, you should place a rag over the radiator cap and twist it open until it hits the first safety stop in the half locked position (if you don't know how to open a hot radiator cap safely be warned you may burn yourself at this step with scolding hot coolant - so practice opening and closing the cap to the first stop until you know by feel how to do it). This step will force coolant out the radiator up the the overflow pipe and into the reserve bottle blowing out all air in the overflow tubes in the process. This ensures that once the engine cools down and thermal contraction occurs, any needed coolant from the reserve bottle is sucked in by the cooling system instead of sucking in trapped air in the overflow tube. :thumbsup:

Ensure the reserve bottle is filled to max after this step and check it again when the engine is completely cold to see how much coolant was sucked in...If the bottle goes under minimum you didn't do such a good job bleeding and will need to repeat the process starting with bleeding at the bleed screw.

Last edited:

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
i removed the belt to gain easier access to the thermostat housing bolts, but each to their own..
its only a 15mm bolt and u dont need to fully remove the belt

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
1) excellent piece of advice there, sixshooter :D

2) brilliant guide ChRiDDa. While you're on the topic of belts, is there any specific way to tell how tight is tight enough, when re-affixing and tensioning the drive belt?