Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get a new key?

96VScomm

Hey. I put my only key through the wash last night(i know im an idiot i was covered in black crap so i threw it all in) and now my VS wont start because of the imobiliser stuff inside the head. I went to get a new key from holden and they told me they need my car there to do the programming.

It was my only key and im not paying money to tow it there.
He told me to put the key in the ignition and turn it to reds for 45mins and it will override it untill i turn it off again

45 mins!!! i always thought having the car on reds to long will break something.

Has anyone elese done this before
will it work and not ruin my fuel pump or whatever.
thanks

Also is $110 the normal price for a new programmed head?
thanks

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
That's the only way to do it, and it definitely works. The fuel pump will shut off after about 2 seconds, so that theory is nothing to worry about. $110?? A bit steep if you ask me. It will cost me $44 for the exact same scenario.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd pay the $110 and put it down to experience. The owners manual gives you the 45 minutes on red technique as well and in your case with a dead key you will have to do it through a dealer as MrMinit and other similar setups need to have a working key to copy....and yours ain't working.

96VScomm

thanks for that
i am going to try it this arvo
the problem i have is i finsh work at 4 and it takes 45 mins for me to get my car started and then 20 mins to do the key so i dont think i will have the time
might have to get off work early

beerbot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina S2
hako said:
I'd pay the $110 and put it down to experience. The owners manual gives you the 45 minutes on red technique as well and in your case with a dead key you will have to do it through a dealer as MrMinit and other similar setups need to have a working key to copy....and yours ain't working.
you sure on that because i took my key to get cut and the guy came out with his little handheld thing plugged it in tothe adapter under the dash and then programmed my new key like that, only thing he used my old key for was for the keycut pattern. cost me about $50-$60.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
beerbot said:
you sure on that because i took my key to get cut and the guy came out with his little handheld thing plugged it in tothe adapter under the dash and then programmed my new key like that, only thing he used my old key for was for the keycut pattern. cost me about $50-$60.
MR Minit in Townsville is usually staffed by one person only so I don't think they'd shut the shop and do that up here but maybe in the big smoke they have more than one person on duty. Mr Minit price is $99 or thereabouts but when I had mine done they had a special with 20% off. If you read the MrMinit advert they say you must have a working key for them to copy but again, that is for Townsville.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Cost me 80 dollars in Adelaide.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
drewins said:
Cost me 80 dollars in Adelaide.
Is that for key, or key and head. or head only?