Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to get access to the climate control fan

tye730

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S s2
Hey guys
when i turn on my climate control i get a really annoying whistling, and as i put up the speed the more annoying it gets does anyone have instructions how to get tot he fan to check it out for a vy s2?

thanks

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Tye

The fan is located in front of the glovebox. To get at it, remove the panel that just clips on below the glovebox - it's just held in by two clips - pull it straight down and it's free. You can then see the fan motor, which is retained by three screws and a wiring harness connection. It's pretty easy to remove, but you might find it easier to also pull out the glovebox. That's retained by two plastic hinge clips which will probably break when you it so if you can avoid removing the glovebox, do so. The fan blower can collect minor bits of rubbish like paper or leaves which brush against the blower as it spins. Although you describe the noise as a whistle, it could just be junk caught in there. Good luck.

tye730

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S s2
thanks for that got the fan out was to easy!

but there was nothing in the fan and i even had a look up in its housing and nothing, any other ideas where it could be coming from?
I also ran the fan while out of its housing and no noise but as soon as i put it all back together the whining/whistle starts up again and it sounds like its coming from the fan again.

p.s no clips broke!!! well not yet

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
thanks for that got the fan out was to easy!

but there was nothing in the fan and i even had a look up in its housing and nothing, any other ideas where it could be coming from?
I also ran the fan while out of its housing and no noise but as soon as i put it all back together the whining/whistle starts up again and it sounds like its coming from the fan again.

p.s no clips broke!!! well not yet

OK, scratch the old "leaf or paper in the blower housing" idea. Perhaps something has blown into one of the vents and is causing a slight restriction to the airflow. Try turning the air on and checking the output from each vent to see if one is putting out less air that the others. The only places where it is easy to remove any crap is at the actual outlet, or the inside of the heater housing, after removing the fan motor (again) - the plumbing's all buried deep in the dash and too hard to access.

One other silly idea - when you ran the fan in the car, did you have the radio turned on? You might be getting some interference from the electric fan motor playing back through the stereo as a whine or whistle. Try it with the radio turned off.

tye730

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S s2
might try and take apart the dash then to try get access to the center vents see if there is anything there, any easy way to get to them?

checked the radio ..no luck

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Another thought occurred to me. When you operated the fan motor out of the car, did the blower fan run true or wobble slightly? It's just possible that the fan is rubbing against the housing very lightly somewhere, so check the edge of the blower for any signs of abrasion and to ensure it's running true.

Dash centre vents are not difficult to access. You need to remove the top cover from the console, the radio, the small lidded compartment below the radio, the top insert in the centre dash and the centre dash surround itself. The centre vents will be completely exposed.

tye730

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S s2
Cool thanks for your help, i will ahve ago at it on the weekend and let you know how it goes.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I have just fixed a similar problem - an annoying squeaky/ticking noise that came and went with the fan. I pulled out the fan thinking it was the old "leaf or paper in the blower housing" thing but could find no foreign bodies. I sprayed some silicon lubricant on the metal shaft of the fan motor - and put it back together. After running for about 10seconds it was all good - whisper quiet. Sweet :)