Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get Internet in my shed?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of having a new shed built and need to work out how to get internet up there. It’s about 35 meters from my house and I can’t get a cable from my modem up to it. I should be able to get a cable from my garage (its attached to my house) up there but can’t get from the garage to the modem as it’s a two storey house on a slab and they’ve put the modem on a interior wall that I can’t get a cable to without having to do a lot of damage to the ground floor ceiling. I am wanting a cable so that I can plug a security system in.
I will be putting electrical into a trench so I will be able to add a Cat 5 in with that.
I’m not sure what my options are and any ideas/options/recommendations are welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers Shane

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I would run a cat5/6 cable in the trench and then just need to figure out how to get a cable from the modem to where ever the trench ends at the house. Cable is cheap, run 2 lengths for a bit of redundancy.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I'd stay away from Cat5, you'd want at least Cat6 (if not the newer Cat7) and absolutely insist on shielded cable if it's going in the same trench as electricity.

What kind of existing network are you running? Is it just the Wifi modem or do you have existing cabling running somewhere (through the roof maybe) that you can tap into?

Reactions: Lex

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
I’ll be dropping cat5 into the trench as I have multiple cables long enough.
Bigfella- I have a standard type wifi modem but can’t easily get a cable from it to the shed.
I was hoping that someone knows about some type of tech that picks up a WiFi signal and has a cat5(or higher) output

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
my garage (steel panels) is 20m from the house and 35m from where the wifi router is (in the study)

I have internet in the garage.. I have an old (from work) DELL notebook with all my car service
PDFs etc and TV viewing software (with ext antenna) and I am good .. works fine, no cable needed :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
directional wifi is a thing but i'd just use something like a Ubiquiti setup. Range on these things is great.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
There's a few options
Cable in trench
Point to point wireless link
Directional wifi
Ethernet over power (up to GB)

All comes down to spend, go minimal cat 5e, not cat 5 in the trench. Cat 6 preferred for GB speed over distance near power cables. As previously mentioned run 2 cables

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If you are able to run cable do that and then have a dedicated modem in the shed too (even if its just a cheapie) then you will have access for your cameras as well as wifi which will come in handy too. Speak to the sparkie who is hooking up your shed as they should be able to advise on the easiest way to get signal out there. Wish I'd have done that when I did my current shed. As even with a range extender, the wifi is only just strong enough to run spotify 50% of the time out there.