Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get Internet in my shed?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Even if not running UTP cable to your shed, whilst the trench is open at least run some ducting/condoit with a draw wire inside it. So it gives you an option to do so later on.
And while you can, rope/string it (often easier in smaller lengths) than to later on with bends, and on that note, make them nice long sweeps (not those 90 degree in 50mm ones)

It may or may not work in your situation, but we do use wifi boosters at work with some electrical testing due to needing to keep seperation distances and exclusion zones that cannot have anything joining from inside to outside the areas.
similar to this: https://www.pcbyte.com.au/store/pro...MIo6vIoOaZ7AIVhCRgCh0WRAb4EAQYASABEgKrrfD_BwE
I think the furthest we have used it for is about 20-25m but its still had an awesome connection.
Went from struggling to get a signal without a line of sight to the modem to having full bars all the time.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As already mentioned by @rucxy, drop some ducting in the trench along with a draw string. Use wide swept bends as it makes drawing cable much easier. After all, ducting is a trivial cost in comparison to paying someone to dig a long trench...

Once the ducting is buried in the ground, then many many choices are available as to what to actually pull through (if anything). Who knows, if you go the wifi Path, such may be enough initially but interference and poor wifi performance may cause you to rethink your solution. Even wifi security issues through lack of device firmware update may give you pause to rethink your solution. At that point, the small extra cost of that ducting already in the ground will make absolute sense...

But in terms of connectivity between the house and shed, I‘d consider drawing some optic fibre through the ducting. I’d then use these devices (more here) at each end to convert between fibre and copper. Fibre length can be upto 500m with such “SC“ devices (which in your case is more than enough for your 35m + what’s needed for the building internal parts of the run).

Fibre cable isn’t expensive, around $3/m for 2 core multimode fibre, but the terminations are seen as complex and unfamiliar by many so they shy away from it. Luckily, due to the number of NBN contractors out their, I’m sure there are many that can advise and then terminate the cables for you at reasonable price.

I like the philosophy of fibre as it’s unimpeded by proximity to power cables since light isn’t impacted by electromagnetic fields. It’s also future proof in that changing the devices at either end of the cable will allow you to get increased throughput with what’s already in the ground. As an example, when 10G copper to fibre converters are cheap.y available, they can be used to swap out the existing devices giving a speed boost from 1G to 10G ethernet bridge between the house and shed.

If I was doing a shed and wanted internet, I’d explore the fibre path... but if I ended up going copper, I’d run Cat6A as it has much better shielding than even Cat6 and can support 10G Ethernet over 100m runs (Cat6 allows 10G over short 35m-50m lengths based on noise environment). I wouldn’t draw a Cat5 cable (as there is hardly any price difference between Cat5, 5e and 6 while Cat6a is $0.40/m more costly at around $180/m; google should find prices but note I’ve listed indoor cable while outdoor UV stabalised cable is much more expensive but not needed in under ground ducting)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi everyone- I have an update. After going to a few different places and getting confusing answers from different sales people I procrastinated(not having my shed built made it so I wasn’t in a rush anyway) and didn’t buy anything. My gorgeous wife bought me this https://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/nighthawk-mesh/mk63.aspx
for Christmas and I’ve just set it up. The set up was pretty easy even though I had a bit of trouble due to trying to change some stuff in my internet providers modem while in the middle of setting it up. Now I have that sorted it seems to work great , the slower speed screenshot is from my iPhone 7 at my shed and the the faster one is from my iPad near the TPG modem- I expected that it would be slower by more than what it is so it’s a great result. I’ll be able to stream in my shed easily and have my security system on the net 24/7 . This system seemed to be the fastest one that i looked at and the only downside compared to some of the others is that each satellite only has one Ethernet port while some of the others have two. While this isn’t the end of the world it does limit me a little bit but luckily I put conduit in the ground that I can draw some cat5/6 in to hook to the other satellite as the current tv I have to go in the shed has wifi but it doesn’t work very well and if/when I put a pc in the shed I’ll have to put a wifi card in it or look at having some sort of secondary router so that I can have more Ethernet ports available in the shed.

Cheers Shane

Attachments

• E2BF6DDF-3924-4794-99C8-A995E107AED8.png
    E2BF6DDF-3924-4794-99C8-A995E107AED8.png
    431.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 1D7E4C05-DD51-4B13-B775-5B789335FCE0.png
    1D7E4C05-DD51-4B13-B775-5B789335FCE0.png
    319.7 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: Lex

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
My mate. works as a communications installation tech. He would get the cable through from the modem to the shed without much destruction.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi all, due to being the tech dummy I am I once again need some help. Due to increasing NBN prices my wife swapped providers away from TPG to Dodo. I now have a Dodo supplied tp link vx220-g2v ( https://www.tp-link.com/au/service-provider/xdsl/vx220-g2v/ ) modem . The problem I have been having is that I can’t stream Netflix or Stan direct on my tv but can Disney+ and iView work so I know that the internet is actually working on the tv. I have hopefully worked out the problem but I need help with the solution, after trying a reset on both the modem and mesh router I looked into the settings on the router to see if I could find anything out of the ordinary ( at this stage I still haven’t wanted to play with the modem) and I have found that the router gets it’s time from a ntp server and it can’t get a connection to the server. I have tried some different servers but still can’t get a connection, I can’t work out why it shouldn’t get a connection unless the tp-link modem or Dodo is blocking it. I ran a temporary Ethernet cable from the modem to the tv(from upstairs to downstairs) and the tv works as normal so it is definitely a problem with the mesh and most likely the time ( I also found I couldn’t log into my bank on the wifi but on I could on my phone with the wifi turned off) .

Any help appreciated

Cheers Shane

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
What State/Suburb you in ?
As it’s not listed on you profile,
As there maybe a member that may be able to assist,
As I have done a few Network extensions for the same.