Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to get my 3.3ltr efi vk going better

vkcalaislover

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Exec
hi guys ... i have a vk calais . just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on how to tune it and make it run better ... the poor old thing bearly does and burnout in the pooring rain ... any help would be great

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Add a Vee and 2 cyl :) or oil squirters for the rears :p

Exhaust, new rotor button & dizzy cap, good leads and plugs. 98 octane fuel advance the timing. Dyno tune on the AFM & dizzy, there is a gear under the black cap of the AFM that can be adjusted.
more money cam & head work, diff change to 3.45:1, manual conversion. after market computer or delco conversion.
supercharge or turbo

the list is endless but your better off ditching the 202 and installing something with more potential.

cheers
Scott

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

vkcalaislover

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Exec
mate im only a p-plater and money is an issue just wanna no stuff i can do at home

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
mate im only a p-plater and money is an issue just wanna no stuff i can do at home

Exhaust flowing better (remove rear muffler)
Good spark plug like denso/ACdelco from holden gapped properly indexed if your really keen
Good leads 8mm
new rotor button & dizzy cap
advance your timing till the engine pings & back it off a little
98 octane fuel
New air filter possibly something like a K & N panel filter (dont use a pod)
Clean the air flow meter
Have injectors cleaned

thats about it then its
CAM
Head work etc...

cheers
Scott

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

lol, sorry mate. was just kidding.

if you are looking for cheap cheap cheap, get yourself a can or GOOD QUALITY injector cleaner. maybe even two. spray the living hell out of your inlet system. take the spark plugs out (replace them if yu got the $$) and turn the motor by hand and fill your cylinders with the stuff (not literally, but put a lot in). once there is a good amount in there let it sit for a while. clena your MAF sensor with carby cleaner or brake cleaner. replace your filter with something that breethes a bit better.

i am ready for a flame with this one, but here goes. if you are game you can get your old filter and cut holes out of the paper in selective spots so that it keeps its structural rigidity but has gaps, then wrap pantie hose around the holes and refit. i would not do this because i can afford decent filters, but if your tight then you gotta cut corners. lol

make sure your dizzy is working in prime condition and the coil has a nice strong spark. if you whip out a spark plug, connect the high tension lead and hold it against an earth. then get your mate to crank the car you can see the spark. should be nice and white.

thats all i can think of for now. oh yeah plus what VKberlina just said. he was spot on.

oh yeah, a good home made cold air intake cant be beat. an old vacuum cleaner hose or pool filter hose or something like that, which would go down the side of the car either into the gap on the side of the radiator or pointed to the ground. but if you go with the ground option, make sure you put in a water catcher bend in (like a toilet), otherwise in the wet you may suck water into your inlet. not a good idea.

im done

vkcalaislover

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Exec
thanks for all the info ... but ive decided to sell it and get something abit newer if you no anyone that wants a vk calais in brisbane its for sale for $800 as is with no rego or rwc .

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
not much to the old 6's.. can make them go easy

a damn good service will get any motor jumping again. Check all vac hoses, air filter, plugs and leads, dizzy cap/rotor button and coil, good quality oil, injector clean/carb clean, dyno tune the engine, run a higher diff gear, trans service (if auto) ect.