Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get rid of this ugliness

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well I'm trying to work out how to hide, remove, cover up that ugliness on the top of the Windscreen on our Cheap VE without replacing the screen itself. Yes this effect the top of the screen mainly, the side are ok and I have also Purchased the original garnishes for the left and right so the side will look good but the TOP, Gruuuuuuh, hate it!.
I'm open from members opinion what to do.

Last edited:

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Unfortunately it's in the glass, happens to all VE's only way to hide it cheap will be some vinyl wrap as a windscreen banner

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The windscreen has started to delaminate.
Replace the screen, or cover it with some sort of decal.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
In the 70's, before tinted band windscreens became common, young blokes used to put a solid vinyl band across the top of the screen. Usually satin or matt black, with Holden or Ford or similar printed on it and as deep as 150mm down the screen. Way too big but wankery was all the go back then. Not with me though, I'm too tall to ever reduce the depth of forward vision.

Anyway, a narrow band, maybe no more than 50mm deep, across the top of the screen, might be a simple and cheap fix.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Today I wondered around a few Car yards and looked for VE's and most VE's had it but not as bad as our one. I looked at 5 Ve's, one was very close to ours. It spoils the car. Better still it spoils all Ve's

Last edited:

MRVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
My ve sv6 sportswagon has it and i thought water was getting in cause i noticed the windcreen glass and roof has a gap u would think they would use a rubber molding in that gap area.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
My ve sv6 sportswagon has it and i thought water was getting in cause i noticed the windcreen glass and roof has a gap u would think they would use a rubber molding in that gap area.
I finished doing the VE yesterday as I purchased the NEW Garnishes on both side of the screen and I hid that UGLY top of the screen with a Special black tape that you can use it under water.
If someone is interest go to BUNNINGS where they have the paint section and find where they have duct tape and look for T REX Ferociously Strong Tape. Yes its called this, it come in Saturn black. Also comes with a small roll 48MM wide (can guillotine it in half width after you unroll it and make it 12mm wide) and 1.88mm long just long enough for the top of the VE Screen.
NOW be very careful using this STRONG ADHESIVE TAPE that has a plastic covering behind to protect the ADHESIVE Section so roll out the tape no more than 15mm wider that the total screen on both sides and cut it. Dont make the Mistake that I did I made to to long so at the other end I had 100 mm left over and when you peel the protection off and the last bit left over touched the Paint ONLY touch it, not pressed on at all it STUCK THERE and you cannot get it off as you might take the paint off with it even if you horizontally try to take if off..

I had to use eucalyptus oil and a cotton bud and soke it and it took 10-15 minutes to get that 2 inch section off. Also use a 6 inch ruler to apply it and if you have bubble here and they use a sharp pin and let the air out.
I have never seen a strong tape like this.