Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get the best price from a car dealer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I'm sorry if this is the wrong section to post, I'm using an iPhone so my search capabilities are hindered by the app and browses control.

In the next months, I'll most likely downgrade my caprice to a smaller yet more expensive BMW. I'm just wondering if there are any tips from the experts out there in handling a negotiation. I'm no greenhorn yet far from an expert or automotive insider.

My main questions is tactics used and what the makeup value usually is. Example, if a used car is between $45000 - $50000, how much room do I have to move?

I don't want to low-ball as it shows the dealer I havent got a clue (which is true at present) and I don't want my offer to be too high for obvious reason.

Is there also a good time to buy? Eg excess stock clearance? A good friend negotiated a good deal on a convertible a few years back. They had the car on their lot for a long time and were about to sent it back to the wholesaler. Is there a set time dealers send unsold cars off?

I'm good at buying watches because that's all I read about (hobby) but cars I'm no so clued up on.

/posted via mobile device\

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
first of all do your research, learn as much as you can about the car, its common faults. standard equipment and options, if you go in there showing a wealth of knowlegde, the dealer will be put off a little bit cause he cant do the usual bullshit tactics

never say you really like the car. even if you love it, talk it down, never say any good points about it, just the bad, that way when you through a crazy low offerout there the dealer wont think he has someone that will probably by the car anyways no matter the price

in some cases be prepared to walk away, hand him your card or mob number say your price and walk. they will call you

in other cases, waving cash in front of there face saying ill take it today can help

agree on a price... then say you have a trade in... not before the final price is agreed

there is not a real best standout time to by a used car. just depends on how long its been sitting there, maybe closer to end of fianancial year may help when dealers want to move there stock

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Do your research, decide on a budget and most importantly be prepared to walk away.
Last point is one most people forget, just because you're there and its shine and the dealer seems like a good bloke, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

In terms of time to buy, my opinion is it's best to do so right before end of the FY. Usually promotions around and dealers to do deals as they have probably met sales targets.

Check out redbook. It will give you an idea what the cars are selling for and what the dealer would have given the owner for it as trade-in if it's 2nd hand.

Sent from my HTC Magic

Last edited:

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Not buying from a dealer would be a good start, whatever they owners sold it to them for was anywhere between 10-50% less on most cars.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dealers have a business to run. its up to you to decide on whether you are willing to pay X dollars for X car or not. the only time you get ripped off is if you dont look into the specific car/deal thoroughly.

and treating a dealer like they are about to rip off will probably make them do just that.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Believe it or not, most dealers are not the type you see on TT. There are some shady people in the car game, but the majority do the right thing.

The best way to get the best deal is to ask. Don't try any "tactics", dealers have seen them all and they will know you are just trying to play the game.

Find the car you want, research the price of it, research the wholesale price of yours if it is being traded and the difference is what you should pay. Off course try and get the lowest change over possible, but the dealer has a margin to work with and he will try and get the most he can, but there is a limit as to how low he will go.

Having a price in mind before you go in will give you an idea on how good a deal you will get, if the price he offers is too high, you can just say you had $XXX in mind, (go about a grand under the change over you want) then see how he reacts. In the end, you are really working out the best deal for you and him, it's not really haggling, it's compromising. Be willing to pay a bit more than you really want to, and he will probably meet you there.

The best place to buy a BMW is either a dealer that sells them new, or a prestige used dealer. THey will generally have the better ones. Don't buy one from a Holden or Ford dealer, they will know less about the car and you may not get a good one, or you will pay too much.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I go in with a price in mind. If they do not want to meet my price I walk without haggling.

Why pay more than you want to?

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Once you have a look at a few you will form a picture on what the dealers are selling them for, for different condition and kilometers.

Find the one that you like, and make an offer based on what you have seen elsewhere. I never pay the advertised price, but don't be silly and offer 7k below a sticker price of say 25k.

The last car I bought was a 1.5 year old Suzuki Grand Vitara with 24,000km on it. It had $29k drive away advertised on it. I offered the principal dealer $25k to buy on the spot and he agreed after 5 seconds of thinking.

Be prepared to walk though if they don't come to the party.

Jarrad

Sherminator
Reaction score
Members Ride
Silver Ex Cop VX Wagon
Also if you cant or dont want to wait til the end of financial year sales, end of the month is also a good time to buy. Salespeople trying to make monthly targets etc...

Last edited:

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
best time i reckon to buy is at the end of the month
even better if you have been haggling with them over the price for a week or 2 come the end of the month they will usually deal

Last edited: