Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get those potholes fixed

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
LOL, I knew the answer before reading the thread.

bureaucracy at it's best...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Melbourne councils and VicRoads know how to fix pot holes.

They stick a Rough Surface road sign just before the hole...

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
Maybe we should start the artwork here too. We have numerous roadsigns around South Australia stating "Uneven surface next x km'
In a car it is almost bearable but in a truck - it's one hell of a ride!
Just easier, and cheaper, for them to put up the signs rather than actually fixing the roads

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Melbourne councils and VicRoads know how to fix pot holes.

They stick a Rough Surface road sign just before the hole...
Those rough surface signs are so the council effectively notifies road users of the road hazard and thus the council aren’t liable for damage to your car :eek:

As is, the councils responsibility is limited by state legislation. The limit is about the cost of an average pair of rims and tyres and such liability is only if the damage to your car occurs after they’ve been notified in writing of the danger + a legislated timeframe to react to the notification. The legislated time frame depends on the road‘s speed limit.

So the other trick those shifty councils use is to reduce the road speed limit of their poor roads as that gives the council more time to fix the issues (=put up signs) :confused:

Such legislation is now common Australia wide and Victoria ain’t different ... Maybe we should start a grass roots movement where we all start to draw penis’ on any broken road surface and see which councils are prudes and which actually fix the roads :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It's not always the councils responsibility, you see the same signs on on major freeways and highways...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It's not always the councils responsibility, you see the same signs on on major freeways and highways...
I believe VicRoads/RMS/etc are covered by the state specific legislation that covers their councils, so the same games are played by the various road authorities.

It‘s same same but different,... all at the drivers expense :eek:

PS: in Victoria I think it’s called Road Management Act 2004

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Isn't it a joke, we pay lots in taxes and local rates for these roads to be maintained and when the council/roading authorities fail to do so it is at our own expense.....

Maybe we do need those AR's......

/just kidding (in case someone doesn't get the sarcasm!)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A place I used to work at, dealt with people coming in, with foobared rims, due to potholes near the business.....People would notify the council and the council would cough up for the repairs/replacement of the rims and temporarily fix the pot holes....However after about 12 months, the council stopped coughing up for the repairs/replacements....They would repair the pothole straight away, so other people would suffer the same problem but nothing else

I suspect the reason they stopped coughing up for the repairs/replacements was, people were foobarring their rims some other way and blaming one particular road....Strangely enough, the majority of people making these claims that I saw were unemployed people, with clapped out dungers.....

So it was a case of a few tossbags stuffing it up for the honest person...