Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get to the seat belt tensioners - VT II

Capacious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Gen3
Bit of a newb question, but how do I get to the seat belt tensioners in my VT II?
The rear seat belts are really slow to retract so I want to get in to them and clean/lube to hopefully make them a bit quicker.

I have done a search and found a few tips on how to clean them up but can't find what bits of trim I need to remove to get to them. Any help appeciated!

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I have no idea but be careful, I read they have exploding mechanisms that locks the seat belt in a crash. Not sure how much "exploding" they do when they go off but it sounds bad enough to put me off playing with them.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
The exploding bit of the seatbelts is the pretensioner, which is part of the buckle assembly, not the seat belt retractor itself.

The retractor roll sits inside the base of the B-pillar, from the service manual it looks like you just undo the screws and off comes the cover.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
the rear seats don't have pre tensioners

only the fronts which are attached to the seats

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Oops - oska is right. I just assumed we were talking about front seats here.

For info, a new rear belt is about $120 from Holden. Mine has the same issue and lubricating things up made very little difference.

1998GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 HSV VT GTS 5.7 Stroker
If your belts are slow to retract back, do this.....Firstly remove trim panel,pull webbing right the way out to check to see if it is twisted.If so you'll have to do a half twist on the webbing and pull it back though.If it's not twisted,check the top hanger guide to see if theres any buildup of **** on it.(clean)Then spray the hanger with a silicon spray.That normally works.

But if your webbing are starting to get hard,you maybe up for new belts.Hope this helps.

hsv-maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu maloo
If your belts are slow to retract back, do this.....Firstly remove trim panel,pull webbing right the way out to check to see if it is twisted.If so you'll have to do a half twist on the webbing and pull it back though.If it's not twisted,check the top hanger guide to see if theres any buildup of **** on it.(clean)Then spray the hanger with a silicon spray.That normally works.

But if your webbing are starting to get hard,you maybe up for new belts.Hope this helps.

hello,,l sell those for 35-40 second hand, but in good nic,, let me know if you need anything Holden Commodore Parts

Capacious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Gen3
Thanks

Thanks guys,
I was after some direction on how to get the trim off but ended up figuring it out.
Removed the bottom of the rear seat, by pulling the two tabs underneath.
Then undid the bolts holding the two seat backs in place, and slid the seat back up to remove the seat backs.
Pulled the centre seat back down.
Undid all the plastic screws and child seat harness bolt in the parcel tray trim.
Undid the single plastic screw in the side trim right by the belt tensioners.
Yanked the trim to free the clips.
Then could access all the the couple of bolts to undo and remove the whole belt assembly.

Easy enough job, took the belts out and cleaned them and they work a bit better now.
The pyro bit on the belt tensioner has "Caution do not remove" in big lettering on it so I decided not to take this apart and lube it up!