Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VB-VK] how to give your stock air cleaner a better note

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, so this mod isnt for everyone, due to the fact that it will suck in hot air from the engine bay, but for anyone that is looking for a cheap upgrade here it is. i did this purely because i dont like flashy chrome. i want my engine bay to look as stock as i can get it, but the air cleaner i have is just waaaay too restrictive on air flow.

you will need;

a drill

hacksaw, angle grinder, some sort of cutting device

die grinder (optional, but handy)

sandpaper, sander

paint

here we have out starting point
Image080.jpg

take off the cleaner and look to see if you have the space on the bottom before it goes into the filter
Image081.jpg

if so, we are good to go. flip the cleaner upside down and punch a few guide holes for your drill so you dont slip, then drill a nice big hole. i used 8mm, but it didnt matter as i used the die grinder later to enlarge it slightly, but if you are stuck with a flat file, it will be asier to get a decent finish if you get the holes EXactly where you want them and the right size.

Image083.jpg

drill two of these holes then cut as straight as you can to join them up

Image085.jpg

its important to note that you shouldnt make your holes too long otherwise you will lose rigidity in the body of the cleaner and risk it not sealing properley at the top and bottom. i have cut three seperate holes, two small (front) and one large (rear)

use your die grinder/flat file sander etc to finish the edges nice and smooth

rember; sharp metal cuts and hurts, get rid of it now before you forget about the hole later and slice your finger open of a little #$% of metal

Image089.jpg

your finished product should look something like this
Image092.jpg

the hole will let air in from between the filter and the air cleaner wall which increases induction note by quite a lot and will give you a little bit of a boost, but the thing i like about it is that it looks stock!

stick a K&N replacement filter and you are off.

Magifil

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS Series III Caprice
For pure induction noise we used to just flip the air cleaner lid on 5.0 litres, for 4.2 or twin barrel on a V8, a fan belt worked under the lid. Same result just a bit less effort. ;)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR