Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to guide: VT/VX door strikers

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
This is a guide on how to replace your door strikers. If you're driving and you can hear your doors rattle and knock, chances are the rubber along your strikers are worn and due for a replacement. Unfortunately you can't just replace the rubber section, a whole new door striker is required.

This is the part number for the door striker. Front and rear doors use the same striker.

They cost $27 each from Kevin Dennis Holden.

Be careful when replacing these strikers. They are held into place with a backing plate via 2 T30 torx bolts. If you remove both bolts at once the backing plate will be lost and you'll be using your tears to wank.

Start off by marking where the old door striker was placed. Remove one bolt from the striker and slightly loosen the other side. Swing the old striker out of the way.

Then attach one end of the new striker into place so you don't lose the backing plate. Remember to get the orientation correct. This is what the procedure looks like just before the removal of the old striker.

Once you're confident that the backing plate has been secured enough on the new striker, remove the old one. Align your new striker and fit the 2nd bolt in.

This is what it should look like in the end.

To test its position, you'll want to open and close the door with the door handle up (not letting the latch engage). If you feel resistance or rubbing, your door striker will need adjustment. Ensure that the bolts are secured tightly. If they are loose, the doors will push the strikers out of alignment.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Certainly not the norm.

i'd rather be warned than find out it's "not the norm".

good post OP. who else is guilty of just putting a bit of electrical tape on it :D

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
good post OP. who else is guilty of just putting a bit of electrical tape on it

Thanks, just trying to give back to the community. I thought about wrapping mine in electrical tape, but I'd feel guilty every time I opened the door and looked at it...

gr33nbastad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline -- VX2 Calais LS1 A4
Has everyone seen the price of these lately? WTF!

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Haven't even seen this listed lately anymore. I guess we should have jumped on that price! Time for the spare parts/reproduction guys to step up for what is essentially a maintenance part.