Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to hard wire your thermo if fan not working

davidjetson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon with nitros
please delete thread

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Running the cooling fan constantly will load up the electrical system all the time, and will cause the engine to take ages to warm up and get to its operating temperature.An engine that runs cold all, or most of the time, will cause the engine to wear out a lot quicker than normal, and will also cause poor fuel economy.Its better to just fix the problem that has caused the cooling fan to fail in the first place.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
no relay is a bad idea running the power scorce from the ciggy lighter fuse bad idea

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Good for a quick fix though if you are out the middle of no where and your car is over heating and the thermos arent working.

Pretty sure he doesnt mean for everyone to go out and do this if they dont have problems.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
quick fix for that is a loop of wire in the relay holder no wiring mods at all LOL

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Good for a quick fix though if you are out the middle of no where and your car is over heating and the thermos arent working.

Pretty sure he doesnt mean for everyone to go out and do this if they dont have problems.

Yeah I agree about the quick fix in the middle of no where to get out of trouble,but if someone does have problems,its better to fix it properly than just bodging it.Each to their own though.I dont like doing bodgy things to my my car.I like to keep it reliable and in an original condition..

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
If this is your permanent way of fixing your over heating issue, I would have setup a relay in the engine bay, then run the relay switching wire into your cabin and installed a switch on your dash.
That way driving around, then when you are stationary or driving slowly then switch on the thermo fans.
There is no harm to the thermo fan running full time, as I used a VN V6 thermo fan and shroud for my speedway car and it used to go full time.
End of the day you aren't looking at the real issue why the ECU isn't kicking the fans in when the temp gets above a certain temperature. I would be checking your coolant sensors, yes there are two in the V6s, one for gauge and one for ECU, I say the one for the ECU which I am pretty sure is at the front of the engine may be stuffed.
As said if you are in the middle of the bush or somewhere, you could just wrap a wire around your positive battery terminal and run it straight to the positive of your fans, or find a switchable power wire too run power from.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies

hot tip, that ain't a quick fix.. :D and if you're carrying the stuff for this 'patch' around in your car, then you could easily troubleshoot and repair your existing curcuit or just utilize a relay from elswhere...

Also, why is it most people ALWAYS decide to run EVERYTHING of their AUX line?

anyways, if it's a quick fix your after, nothing beats ultra quick & dodgy, as Delco says:

quick fix for that is a loop of wire in the relay holder no wiring mods at all LOL

Last edited:

bruggz351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Excellent:clapping:
I have just got this very problem.
Now, it throws NO codes.
Fan DOES work when in diagnostic mode.
Relay tests fine.
Fuses A-OK.
Fan DOESN'T work under normal conditions, as I have overheated twice and NO fan.

Q. If the coolant sensor is kaput, wouldn't the car run rich. eg. bad fuel economy??? Mine has excellent fuel economy. Runs rough occasionally, goes like a scalded cat (I nicknamed it Crankydore:rofl2:)

Only overheats in slow going - busy car parks on a hot day etc.

NO bubbles in header tank, nice clear coolant. Oil is good.

Could it still be the coolant sensor or is the ECU stuffed????

Looking foward to informative replies:beer chug:

cheers