Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to - Heater Core Removal and Hoses Photos Thread

MidnightStorm

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Executive Series 2
Mate water dropping down from the trans tunnel is completely normal after the Ac is running, so I wouldn't be doing anything about it. A common symptom of a leaking heater core is water leaking into the passenger foot well when the heater is on.

I read in a thread somewhere, either this one or another thread elsewhere, and some have said when the core goes, it does drain out that plug. It is a very slow leak, its not gushing out.
Where in the footwell does it get wet? On top of carpet or underneath it and the underfelt?
Last commodore i had was a vb lol. And that was about 17 years ago.
Im used to seeing coolant filled to the rim, touching the radiator cap. Coolant in my vx seems to drop down to about a few mm's above the flat part where it bends out from radiator. So, not to the rim, but can still see it. Just took the car for a drive, letting it sit to see if it still does leak, if it dont, then i know it was still ac dripping yesterday. I ran the heater for a bit too, even tho i dont think it needed to be run to check it if it is or not leaking.
Its the first car ive actually had where the ac does actually work in it, so, not used to seeing large puddles under the car, coming from where i said it was

MidnightStorm

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Executive Series 2
Are you sure that's not the normal point where condensation from the evaporator drains out of the vehicle?
Midway above the trans, passenger side..
Watch your coolant level and see if it changes.
Catch the water dripping in a white plastic container and view it's color. Coolant; green (or red), condensation; clear.

Doing that now, just took it for a run. First car with ac working and not used to seeing large puddles under car lol.
Some have said tho in either this thread or anther thread, that when core goes, it does drain out the same plug, so, i just assumed thats what it was.
I'll just have to keep my eye on coolant and see what happens in coming days/weeks.
Thanks for the tips, will post back when i have a more definite answe

Rawrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais 3.8
Hey guys,

My heater core started leaking coolant around the dead pedal area in the pedal box (at least I assume it's the heater core, it stopped when I bypassed it anyway), so I'm thinking about taking on this job that Holden wants $1950 for, but just want to clarify a few things mentioned in the thread...

1. Pictures. Are these still available anywhere?
2. O-rings. Anything related to the heater core, or is it just on the evaporator and/or t/x valve? I'm considering replacing these two things as well because I'm the paranoid type, and would really like to not ever have to pull a dash apart again. A 300ZX dash was enough of a prick to do, but that car's a prick in general.
3. Anything else I should be aware of?

Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yeah, in Step Five it misses the 2 bolts inside when lying on your back (1 each side, passenger & driver side) and looking up in a bitch of a spot need to be undone before the hvac unit can be removed.

When re-installing the hvac unit be careful and don't force it, have seen the heater pipes torn out of a copper core where they're soldered in from amateurs forcing it back in.

Phantom309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
Hey guys,

My heater core started leaking coolant around the dead pedal area in the pedal box (at least I assume it's the heater core, it stopped when I bypassed it anyway), so I'm thinking about taking on this job that Holden wants $1950 for, but just want to clarify a few things mentioned in the thread...

1. Pictures. Are these still available anywhere?

I'd like to see the pictures too before I go pulling the dashboard apart.

W07F13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Sedan
Hey guys, my mate and I tried to do his heater core in his vx over the weekend, the heater core has been replaced and the heater core and the dash is back in, we also found that the passenger airbag has been removed for some reason from the previous owner..
Anyways when we start the car now a bunch of warning lights pop up, airbag light, oil light, engine light, and traction control light
Any idea why this could be?