Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to - Heater Core Removal and Hoses Photos Thread

justformonkeys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Wagon
heater would not work if you bodged up a radiator in the engine bay !!!!
I did this job last weekend to replace evap core (leaking ) none of this job is hard ,it is just time consuming and tedious BUT way better if your ac and heater work ,i would suggest to anyone that pulls the dash out ,spend the extra money and replace both the heater core AND the evap core so you never have to do it again !

im not saying just bodge up the radiator, just cut the 2 pipes going into the firwall and put the heater core in the engine bay... so your only replacing the heater core nothing else

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
in doing so you would have a heater core in your engine bay ...........what would that achieve ??? a warm engine bay ??? would not help getting heat inside the car !

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
im not saying just bodge up the radiator, just cut the 2 pipes going into the firwall and put the heater core in the engine bay... so your only replacing the heater core nothing else

The fan blows on the heater core which in turn wen certain doors/flaps r open in the Hvac unit, it alows the heat 2 go where its intended 2 (in the cabin lol)

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
SWEET someone has done this and put it up, ive really should do mine cause it smells lovely :p when i put the heater on!! now at least i dont have to pay someone 1000+ to fix it....i can do it myself!! :) THANKS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! :)

Howdy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5 litre SS
VT 5 litre heater core removal

Terriffic pics - I am about to tackle the core job and don't know whether to be confident or frightened. Looks a bit daughting with all those bits off
Wondering what special precautions have to be taken with both passenger side and driver side air bags when pulling dash apart?
You mention instructions from Thumpin - did you find or have access to any specific instructions from him ? If so where would I find them?
I notriced in one of Thumpin's posts he mentioned Nulon long life. I didn't notice my leak till the day after I flushed and put Nulon in system. What is the best longlife anti freeze anti boil to use from experience?
Regards and congrats on a gr8 post

Howdy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5 litre SS
VT 5 litre heater core removal

Aplogies as I was about to post an identical post. Waiting for any replies from out there in Commodire land . Any advice /suggestions gratefully received
Regards

Last edited:

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Also interested to see the details around this as I think mine needs doing when I've got the spare coin to throw at it :D

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
when the heater core fails where does the carpet get wet?

i've had some dampness on my carpet that doesnt seem to go away, i have no coolant smell and the radiator hasn't dropped any. i'm puzzled and for reference i'll use the rubber mat in the carpet , it's damp on the lower left corner and no where else

having no off street access to work on my car, i'd sooner kill myself than try doing it:whistling

Last edited:

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
My car gets damp in the drivers foot well.
I seem to get a puddle on the plastic bit where your heel goes. I can't seem to find where it's coming in though. I seem to find it's a little damp near the bottom of where the centre console would be, but can't feel find any serious dampness to locate it!
smells like **** too when it's been raining... lol