Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to identify 4.2 stroker?

HSVBT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Can anyone tell me how you can tell if an ecotec is a 4.2 stroker? My mate and I are going to look at a vs, which the bloke who's selling it says that it has a 4.2 stroker in it - from pictures i've seen it looks exactly the same as a stock ecotec. What do I look for?

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
lol look at his receipt

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
go for a drive and seel if you can notice the difference....it should sound a little bit different to a stock stroke ecowreck....

HSVBT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Man, nearly every one you drive sounds a little bit different to the next one. Is there no way to know without pulling motor apart?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
just take it for a drive, or like maniac said ask him for the receipt

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
yeah it is very hard to find out if its stroked or not, thats the reason why I purchased one before the engine **** itself and its currently being repaired by COME Racing

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Half the point of a stroker is the fact it's externally the same as a 3.8 :p

Seriously, just drive it, you will know. (I know you think we are just saying that, but you will know).

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah man, if you cant tell the difference from driving a normal - even worked (like cam and heads) ecotec and a stroker there's something wrong. its a completely different feel and there is loads of torque at your fingertips.
there really is no way to tell other than - the sound, driving it, and a reciept of sale for the engine.
out of curiosity how much is this car your looking at buying?

HSVBT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Yeah, a receipt would make this a no-brainer, why would I be asking how to id the stroker if the bloke had a receipt? He doesn't have a receipt. I would f**kin hope that you would notice the difference between it and a stock ecotec after reading how much these engines go for at places like COME. I would have hoped anyway that I would know when driving it, but I just thought someone might be able to give some insight or a tip or something. Obviouslt not?!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
if the bloke doesnt have a reciept thats sketcky, whatever excuse he has.
chuck it on a dyno....you'll get your answer pretty quick.
as for some tip or something im not sure what you expected, the appearance of the engine is exactly the same as it is stock, there's no way to tell whats inside it without pulling it apart. its not like there's special markings or anything telling you its a stroker, part of the selling point on having a stroker is its sleeper appearance with no obvious modifications to the engine.