Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to identify VL A8 RB30??

VLWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
Hello all!

Recently purchased an 86 VL Turbo, advertised as an A8 but have since realized the engine number ends in 'A' only - no letter 6 or 8 as the last digit.
Would this imply the engine is either ex skyline/patrol? Is there such thing as an A8 engine without the last digit 8 and if so how else do you identify as A8?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Its the second last digit then A...

VLWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
Its the second last digit then A...
Hey Nut

The A8's I've seen have 8 after A, but being an early model VL thought (hoped) possibly different numbering system. If second last digit it's a 9..

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Hello all!
Recently purchased an 86 VL Turbo, advertised as an A8 but have since realized the engine number ends in 'A' only - no letter 6 or 8 as the last digit.
Would this imply the engine is either ex skyline/patrol? Is there such thing as an A8 engine without the last digit 8 and if so how else do you identify as A8?
I think you have earlier block, all the factory turbo ones I have seen had A8 listed, some idiots even try stamp 6 into a 8.
The pistons are the dead give away, different numbers and they have bigger cut outs for lower compression ratio for turbo, the standard factory non turbo block had the higher ratio around 9 compression ratio, turbo was around 8 from memory.

VLWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
Yes there's nothing that indicates to me it's an A8 going by engine number. As for internals it's been fully built so wouldn't have A8 pistons either way.. Appears I was conned re the A8/original engine.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Yes there's nothing that indicates to me it's an A8 going by engine number. As for internals it's been fully built so wouldn't have A8 pistons either way.. Appears I was conned re the A8/original engine.
When you were looking to buy the VL, didn’t you check numbers to confirm it was a factory turbo car ?? What info did the old owner tell you about engine rebuild, how do you know its been fully built, any invoices/proof ??

Any way you still have a RB30 block, basically whether its factory turbo or not, they are a good engine with the right upgrades to alleviate factory weakness, main issues with them apart from oil/pump issue and crank creep in manual ,,,, is factory rod bolts ,,, so I hope they installed new arb rod bolts when rebuilt ??

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
Okay, just incase you are looking in the wrong spot. See attached photos. This is for sure the most proven way of identifying if you have an A8 or A6. This is off my 86 model A8. engine is out of car ready for reco. First photo shows where to look. Second photo shows you what unmolested A8 looks like.
Cheers.

Attachments

• 20220311_212451_resized.jpg
    20220311_212451_resized.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 515
  • 20220311_212402_resized.jpg
    20220311_212402_resized.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 502