Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How To Increase Alternator Output Voltage

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
so this would be somewhat equivalent to your regulator having it's voltage set too high?

OP, there seems to be some confusion from quite a few people (myself included) and maybe a pre-amble and clarification on your mods benefits and why anyone would want to do this considering all the electronics in cars and the potential for damage to onboard systems.

Not only that but you could potentially be overcharging the battery resulting in boiling of the fluid/drying out the battery.

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
It took a while to dig out but the mod is useful for those that have:
  1. loaded up their systems to overcome voltage drop like @Pollushon (amps, gauges, fuel pumps); or
  2. are pushing the limits of performance component like @immortality (fuel pump); or
  3. have a dual battery set up.
For the majority that have a healthy charging system and maintain it there is no requirement. The likelihood of a diode failing and cooking the battery in the short term is there - the biggest issue I see is the slow, but premature, death of components (batteries/lights etc) in an otherwise healthy system.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
It took a while to dig out but the mod is useful for those that have:
  1. loaded up their systems to overcome voltage drop like @Pollushon (amps, gauges, fuel pumps); or
  2. are pushing the limits of performance component like @immortality (fuel pump); or
  3. have a dual battery set up.
For the majority that have a healthy charging system and maintain it there is no requirement. The likelihood of a diode failing and cooking the battery in the short term is there - the biggest issue I see is the slow, but premature, death of components (batteries/lights etc) in an otherwise healthy system.

i think you'd still want your voltage regulated correctly though. Or did I miss something and this won't happen?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I totally agree. The voltage will be regulated using the mod - just at a higher threshold. If your system is a little weak it may work fine - so if the output voltage after the mod is around 14.7/14.8V all is good- but if you add it to a healthy system, with no appreciable additional load to standard, you may be slowly denigrating other components. I think there is higher risk of a diode failing than the sensor wire itself so you have introduced another pint of failure that needs to be managed. That is not to say it can't be easily - a voltmeter is a wise investment regardless.