Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install a chrome shifter button in your VT/VX

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
i have used this guide

i bought a wood grain gear surround and i used this guide to put it on,i am also female like the person who posted this and i had no problems at all,so thanks heaps to the poster for sharing .i love how everyone helps with their advice and experience.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Thanks for this.. I did it today following these instructions.. I didn't pull out the whole console though.. Just some of it.. I had the wife hold the button down to get the pin back in which was a bit of a bitch.. Getting the pin out on my one while it was greased was still a pain in the ass.. I had to use 3 tools and a hammer to bang it till it came out.. So if your one won't budge, don't stress.. Just make sure you hammer it out straight.. I put in a brushed chrome button from the Monaro..

1 more thing.. When your lifting the button out, mine was stuck somewhat.. Pull out the whole handle on the shifter as well as the button..

VB 253

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina w/clubsport kit
thanks to this thread my car looks a whole lot better. I noticed people having trouble with replacing the 'pin' back onto the shifter... I loaded the pin into a 4.5mm socket, this socket has a small drive so it was nice and skinny. I attached a extention on it and hit gently with a hammer. I did this with the shifter button depressed and taped down with masking tape so I can do it by myself. This was much easier than a pin and hammer. it went streight in.

cheers

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
1 more thing.. When your lifting the button out, mine was stuck somewhat.. Pull out the whole handle on the shifter as well as the button..

Yeah I did mine this weekend, It looks great, but as was said in the quoted text I had to pull the whole shifter column out to replace the button because the button was kinda stuck...shoulda read the whole thread, but it's all done now :)

lumina01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV UTE

you just remove the boot and install your new 1.
just pull it towards the front of the car and it slids off the actual handle.
takes like 2 mins

lumina01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV UTE

handbrake button i think i just pressed in slightly and unscrewed it off.
unscrew towards drivers door if i remember correctly

GILLO

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
I have a VT Calais handbrake and Auto shifter, and i am trying to install the handbrake now. It has the chrome bezel at the top so i can't just pull the boot off. Do i need to replace the whole lever or is there a way to get the leather over the bezel and button?

If i have to replace the whole lever, how do i do that?

Also how do i undo the 10mm nuts in the centre console? What tool did you guys use? A 10mm socket?

Cheers.

Last edited: