Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] How to install Astra Electric Power Steering on a VY SS.

Aaron vz thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz thunder
Hi , great write up , I’m looking to do it in my vz thunder , what size pulley did you use ? Or do you have a part number that I can use , cheers

Vajda0506

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Hello!

Im done with these upgrade, but i have full hydro steering, and the flow (L/h) seems to be too few. could i upgrade somehow the flow? (I know, pressure will be less)

Smilinjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Havent tried this yet but could be a help to anyone fitting an Astra pump to anything.
The pump has main power connection, ground and then two control wires. Usually when people install them they connect the two control wires together and then supply the two wires with power from the ignition circuit. I had a look at the Astra wiring diagram, which shows the black control wire connected to the ignition switch, and the blue/white wire connected to an auxiliary output on the alternator. This means that the black wire will get power first, and the blue/white wire will get power a few moments later, once the engine has started.

What I have found is that if both wires get power at exactly the same time, then the pump takes a while to wind up, so the power steering won't work immediately. If the blue/white wire gets power a couple of seconds after the black wire, then the pump gets to full speed almost instantly.
Hope this helps.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. like this thread (very helpful)

have a question, as I cannot see where it got mentioned.
what size (Dash- ? ) are the fittings that screw into the power stg rack spool ? (to replace the factory hard lines)
I see the braided hose is - AN6 but are the end needing to be special to screw into the rack housing?

There is mention of other braided hose fittings for the pump but the rack itself?

Cheers

Last edited:

mlm076

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V

what size (Dash- ? ) are the fittings that screw into the power stg rack spool ? (to replace the factory hard lines)
I see the braided hose is - AN6 but are the end needing to be special to screw into the rack housing?

There is mention of other braided hose fittings for the pump but the rack itself?

Cheers

Cheers
Hey mate
I believe it is the same fitting as you use in the pump. I went with aeroflow AF351-06S for both.