Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How To Install AU Thermo Fans Into VN-VS V8

mwemy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
what if u wanted to do this to an auto?, is there any room for the cooler hoses at all ?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
what if u wanted to do this to an auto?, is there any room for the cooler hoses at all ?

Just. It would be very close. I have run an external cooler anyway. More efficient than the one in the radiator.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
like my setup better :p

So do I, it looks shinier lol. But with out spending good money on the fans to get the same CFM, I like this option better. Plus it looks factory, just what I wanted.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
good write up man this will b my next project over the weekend.

tho just wondering wen u say uve used the V6 thermo plug where is it in the bay? also ive been told u need 2 enable it in the memcal 4 the thermos 2 work through the ECU, does that mean both fans will work using the ECU or do i still need 2 get a temp sender so the 1st fan turns on at 90*? how did u go about this?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Not sure if a factory 5ltr will have this plug but it should be along the rad support if there. I converted mine to a V8 so it had the plug there. If you plug the fans in to that they will turn on at 106 (I think, or what ever the ecu is set at). I have only got one fan wired into that one and will get the other fan wired up. I'll put a sender (90degree) in it and the low speed will be that one and the ECU will turn on the second one for high speed. So basically the ECU is already set to turn on the thermo fans. Hope this answers your questions.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i dont think the plug is there that i can see i mayb wrong but there r wires that run along the radiator support that i assume could b them. do u know the wiring colours u used? also do u have some more info on the sender (90degrees) on how 2 hook that up, cost and where u get them from? assuming it has 2 b put inline with the ECU wires also?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
i dont think the plug is there that i can see i mayb wrong but there r wires that run along the radiator support that i assume could b them. do u know the wiring colours u used? also do u have some more info on the sender (90degrees) on how 2 hook that up, cost and where u get them from? assuming it has 2 b put inline with the ECU wires also?

I'll check the colours, it's just a 2 pin plug. As I said, mine was a V6 that's why mine had it there ready to go not sure if Factory V8's have them. No info on the sender yet as I am yet to fit it. When I do it I'll add it to the write up with part numbers. I am getting a local mechanic to do it as he has done a couple and said something about putting the temp sender where the knock sensor usually goes. Not sure if I heard him right though. So what ever thread that is and go to your local parts store and ask for a Tridon book, find one that has the same thread and turns on at 90 and off and what ever degrees below that.

Some people wire both the fans to the one signal from the ECU then get that adjusted to 90degrees turn on. The mechanic that is going to wire up mine said that having both come on all the time puts a strain on the charging system (alternator) and from what I have read people have had this issue. So this is why he suggested/I want them to come on independently so that the second fan only comes on when really needed.

Last edited: