Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How To Install AU Thermo Fans Into VN-VS V8

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i had a play with mine and hooked them up 2 12V and yeah i see wat u mean both fans seem 2 draw a **** load of current on start up so im thinkin i may wire them both up but have a 5-10sec delay so the strain isnt so bad.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
a VT 5litre uses a 120amp altenator due to the massive load of the thermo's
VN - VS 5L uses 85amp
unsure about the V6 amp but I'm pretty sure its nowhere over 100amp thats why its straining

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
i had a play with mine and hooked them up 2 12V and yeah i see wat u mean both fans seem 2 draw a **** load of current on start up so im thinkin i may wire them both up but have a 5-10sec delay so the strain isnt so bad.

Yeah they do. Not a bad idea about the delay timer. Let us know how you go with that and even how you wire it up too. I'll add it to this thread.

a VT 5litre uses a 120amp altenator due to the massive load of the thermo's
VN - VS 5L uses 85amp
unsure about the V6 amp but I'm pretty sure its nowhere over 100amp thats why its straining

A small alternator on the early V8's is the main reason for the strain, you right. But when it comes time to replace the alternator I'll go to a 120amp one. But for now I'll stick to this one though. The V6's only ran the one fan so there was probably no need to go bigger than 100amp. Running 2 is a different story, lol.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
the 85 amp should b more than enough, ive read up so far and found the fans draw around 25-30amps each so 50-60amps in total (thats if both fans running at the same time) and its only on start up that they need this amount of amps.

Bit like ur audio just make sure u do "the Big 3" gound upgrade it'll help out a massive amount.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
cheers for the write up! i just bought a set of AU thermos for my blown SS :)

davidjetson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon with nitros
G-Day Mate thanks for the post as i have done the change as well many thanks dave
IMG_20130228_164222_364_zps26d02a47.jpg.html

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
Great write up mate. Im about to start this in my vs l67. I assume i wont have any troubles with fitment? Also have you had yours fully wired up yet? I would like both mine to come on at low speed and high speed

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Only problem may be the charcoal canister. I moved mine though. Mine is wired up now. I have the sensor in the thermostat housing for low speed and high speed running off the ECU. Not sure how the V6 works but the original fan would be a low speed and would the condenser fan come on as a high speed? You could run them off those two but you may need to wire a relay and fuse up for high speed and use the condenser fan as a signal to turn it on rather than run off that wiring. Hope that made sense, lol.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I presume that the instruction on Pic #2 where you say "Cut off the two end supports on the top edge of the radiator.", should really read the top edge of the fan shroud.