Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to install extractors (ecotec V6)

the_random_hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Toyota?
nice right up can u list like all the tools and stuff please would be a great help!

If you want to do it properly, you'll need a decent set of spanners, sockers and a big screwdriver, plus some sort of welder. Most exhausts I've seen attached by U clamps have had leaks, no matter how tight the clamps are.
Always use a gasket, even if it's just the original one with a good coating of sealant over it.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
What extractors (brand) are these by the way ??? How were the gains ?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Easily one of the best write ups.....

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
shame about the horribly done bends in the extractors and y-pipe not the most performance oreintated setup thats for sure .wouldnt be expecting much gain over stock manifolds.good write up though

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
These look like Lukey Headers, black coating, with the almost bulbous shape in the pipes. They look the same as the pipes shown on the Lukey website, similar bends. Even if they were press bent, i am sure Lukey know plenty about designing these things........

jashdown91

Jashdown?
Reaction score
live in ballina, thats near byron bay, everyone kn
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
shame about the horribly done bends in the extractors and y-pipe not the most performance oreintated setup thats for sure .wouldnt be expecting much gain over stock manifolds.good write up though

i dunno if you noticed the difference in length between the old manifold and the new extractor? but if you ask me, the old manifold would be the equivalent of us breathing through a straw. you would be surprised at the increase you get just from extractors

good write up mate.

Klint_VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
and one snap a headder stud?? i need measurements for them

flawnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
the two bolts closest to the firewall on the drivers & passenger sides have been snapped (looks like prior to me touching it) what the hell do i do now? :S
and also im having a bit of difficulty with the 2 nuts that connect the drivers side stock manifold to the y-pipe, any tips? its on a VS

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you are fitting extractors, it doesn't matter about the flange nuts that connect the Y pipe. Just snap them off.

With the broken studs, I weld a nut to the end of the stud and then undo them. Drilling them and retapping is difficult because of their location.