Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install Mace CAI on VT-VX.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Please note I do not condone working on your car half cast on beer… lol… JK’s

How to install Mace CAI on VT-VY.

Before I start this no doubt epic how to, I want to take a moment to thank Mr Mace for helping me out and being so kind. Getting a cheap high performance product is one thing, but offering the kind of service you do, is a whole other ball park. Mace Engineering group have broken all the rules by offering fast, cheap and high quality service. Name me a better company, and I will call you a liar (Seriously I will… Try it and see what happens)

Now Mace Engineering Group do have installation instructions for all their products, and if you have problems (Like I admittedly done), you can ring them and they will sort them out for you. The Mace instructions for installing this component is available HERE.

I seem to remember something about promising not to be sexist… But seriously, if you are a woman, get a man to do this for you.

What you need.

P1040747.jpg

These are the components you get in the Mace Engineering Group Cold Air Intake. They are currently on special from $300, down to $270, and are delivered for $22. I also specked mine with a clear lid (Because I’m a dick head) for an extra $40. The look of it is well worth it (If you’re a ########).

Philips head screw driver
Flat head screw driver
Long nose pliers
T30 star head Allen key (Whatever they are called)
And an Allen key set (Because I have no idea what size it is… And SURE! I could go check in the Mace installation, but I don’t want too… So shut up)
Damp cloth
Small zip ties
Beer

Optional:
Electrical contact cleaner (Spray form, get it from Dick Smith… lol @ Dick)
More Beer

The following is how I installed the Mace Cold Air Intake… If you #### up your car, don’t blame me, if you’re a woman and you #### up your car, I tried to warn you. –Insert stuff that doesn’t make me liable-

Step One:
BEER! We all know how healthy it is to start one of these jobs with an ice cold longie of beer. We also know that people who drink and drive are #### heads, and deserve to be wrapped around a pole at 100k’s +. So in the interest of safety, please skip this step.
P1040749.jpg

Your cold air intake before you install the mace one

Step Two:
Take your Philips head screw driver, and undo the plastic screws that sit at the front of your OTR cold air intake scoop, and then just pull it up and out. And yes, I know, it’s damn stupid of Holden to make plastic screws. What the HELL were they thinking… wankers. These screws won’t screw all the way out, there is a clip at the bottom that expands as they screw in, and so once they are high enough, it should just ‘pop’ out with some persuasion (Now is not the time to be a wanker and just yank it out.).

P1040749.jpg

Those two screws at the front

P1040750.jpg

Le screws out, and the scoop removed… like a BOUSE. What cha gonna do NOW!

Step Three:
P1040751.jpg

This first hose clamp. What you ought to do is undo it. Now don’t pull anything off, just loosen it.

Step Four:
P1040752.jpg

Now grasping the tab at the top of the sensor, pull it up, and slide the device out. They have a neoprene lining on them, so you might need to give it a tender pull. Just make sure you have the tab elevated up all the way, else you are going to break it like a tangible wanker.

Step Five:
P1040754.jpg

There are three of these clips on the wires that go around your cold air intake. You need to remove these to remove your current air box. Now they have a little clip beneath them that you need to squeeze with long nose pliers at the base and push them up and out. However you want rip them out if you don’t mind damaging the clips. Just be sure not to yank the wires like a complete #### head and #### the wiring loom up. The clips are displayed below:
P1040753.jpg

Step Six:
Undo the residual clips holding the top to the bottom, and then eradicate the lid of the box. You will need to force the top part off the MAF, and then it will be free! Place this on the ground out of the way so you don’t have an expedition over it like a factual #### sucker.
P1040758.jpg

Should separate like this

Step Seven:
P1040757.jpg

Nothing like an employee, you should now remove the sensor clip from the MAF. Do this the same way as the sensor on the box, holding the tab up and sliding out. Again it has a rubber gasket on it, so may been a gentle pull.

Step Eight:
Grab the bottom of your box, and pull it directly up. Be tender at first (Like it’s a titty), do not yank it.. Rather start to relate more and more force until it pops off.
P1040759.jpg

You will notice that the screws holding it in place have rubber around them. The box ‘clips’ into them, so you can confiscate the box before you remove the screws, which makes things VERY easy. You will need to use your t-30 hex Allen key thiny-ma-bob for this. Now remove the screws pl0x.

Step Nine:
P1040767.jpg

Now loosen the hose clamp from behind the MAF, and slide the MAF off, then remove the rubber ring from the front of the MAF. You also need the hose clamp, so make sure you pull that off. Coming soon: Step eleven… Where **** gets real!

Step Ten:
P1040768.jpg

On the end fronting the front of the car (Where you detached the rubber ring), place the piece of tubing you get in the compendium from Mace. Tauten with the hose clamp that you pulled off the neoprene band. Doesn’t matter which way it faces… Tolerable? Virtuous!
Next: Step eleven… Where **** is genuine!

Step Eleven:
P1040772.jpg

Your MAF does need to go in sideways so it doesn’t touch the pipe below it. So do that! Now the following is really optional... But I did it because I wanted everything to sit perfect. What you do, is insert it sideways (also a good move in bed. Check your karma sutra), and mark the side of the hose and cut out the section so the MAF sits in all the way. Per below:
P1040770.jpg

Afore.
P1040771.jpg

Subsequently.

Step Twelve:
Now you need to put in the Main part of the CAI into place. For some reason I didn’t take a picture of this, but seriously if you can’t figure it out, you are probably a woman… AND I THOUGHT I SAID TO GET A MAN TO DO THIS FOR YOU!... #### me…
P1040764.jpg

Oh! I found the picture, as you can see, tighten up the screws (With washers to prevent plastic scratch) at the bottom of it! Don’t put on the brace bar just yet yeah cuz?

Step Thirteen:
Some people are superstitious. Which is a stupid bloody thing to be for the record, however because I respect people no matter what their age/sex/sexuality/religion/dumb ass beliefs, I will skip this step.

Step Fourteen:
P1040769.jpg

Slide the metal pipe, onto the pod filter. This should be in far enough so it doesn’t restrict airflow. Ie, inside you should feel the plastic curve, and then just behind that is there the metal pipe should be. Kay?
Then tighten the hose clamp on it that came with it.

Step Fifteen:
P1040774.jpg

Chuck ya hose clamp on the rubber thingydo, and then:
P1040773.jpg

Slide the pod filter in so it’s all nice and sexy and such! Get it right in there like you would ya missus after a fight.

Step Sixteen:
P1040776.jpg

Go to your old box, and pop off this stupid little clip that Holden have used like a bunch of ####ing retarded autistic kids. You are probably going to break it! (Don’t worry though) But if you don’t:
P1040778.jpg

Use the base of a screwdriver to flatten it out again.

Step Seventeen:
P1040779.jpg

Affix into your new box. As you can see, my clip broke. So if this happens, just tighten it up with a SMALL zip tie (Use a smaller one then I have, it should be small enough to fit into the groove. I have to go buy another one, that one is just temporary). Now CALM THE #### DOWN! I rang Mr. Mace and he was the one that told me to do it... So get ####ed if you think I’m being a cheap ####.

Step Eighteen:
If ya got a Perspex lid like a real ########,
P1040782.jpg

Peel off the protective **** that’s on the top.

Step Nineteen:
P1040765.jpg

Put this little bracket thing on, but don’t fasten it to the chassis just yet aye. Else you’re a ######## and will have to undo it later on. Seriously though… Don’t

Step Twenty:
P1040784.jpg

Put the lid on (Will have to fiddle with the box), then tighten up the brace to the chassis and you all finished! Congratulations! Now go hoon and get your licence taken off you :D

Alright. From here, do the #### whatever you want. I really don’t care.
Uh, if you are interested, will make throttle response a bit better, also makes engine work easier thus chews less fuel. Sounds ok, doesn’t make you sound like a ricer. And supposedly adds more power.. Guess I can feel it… But only that my car loses traction faster when I punch it around a corner like a real hero.

Right. Questions, Comments. Post em below and I will try my best to ignoor them.

Have a very ####ing nice day :)

And on a serious note: Big thanks to Mr Mace. You're awesome :D

Last edited:

666-GMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Mind = blown; on your ability to write in an intellectually humorous way.

Terrific How To; good sir.
May 100 vagina's make their way onto your weaponry today.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car

Jarrad

Sherminator
Reaction score
Members Ride
Silver Ex Cop VX Wagon
Once again a very funny write up mate, well done!!!

666-GMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I am~ 100% unsure if you are being sarcastic or not... But that is probably THE BEST post I have seen in a long while.

<3
Im 100% serious. Fantastic write up, i didn't even do it i just read it and laughed through.

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Before I start this no doubt epic how to, I want to take a moment to thank Mr Mace for helping me out and being so kind. Mace Engineering group have broken all the rules by offering fast, cheap and high quality service. Name me a better company, and I will call you a liar (Seriously I will… Try it and see what happens)

Ok Mr. Eggs, Ripshifter in Victoria. Bought a ripshifter for big $$$ from a retail outlet. Installed it and heard a little bit of vibration when idling. Contacted Ripper to ask about it. They sent me out free of charge a new part they had been developing to curb the problem. I didn't ask for it, and they contacted me shortly after to see if I was happy. Apart from this, the part they sent me has been a success.

I'm just going to sit back and see what happens now Mr. Titties =)

Last edited:

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
You sir! Are a Liar!

You reserved the right to call me that! However in the technical sense of the word, I ain't, well at least in the Ripshifter incidence. Totally recommend them, and def will check out MACE's offerings after your plug. Nothing like a helpful ethical organisation ay