Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to install Power Windows

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
Ok, I pulled apart the front switch assembly to see if I could fix it (BIG MISTAKE). After a few hours trying to figure out what goes where, and losing the front led, and breaking the child lock. I finally got it back together. And now the rear window works!

Problem is because I broke the child lock assembly it is now stuck on, so I have no control of the windows from the rear switches.

What I am asking now is, is there a way to bypass the child lock so I can operate the windows with the rear switches?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i would be finding the wire that goes to the switch, disconnecting it, or grounding it, depending on what it needs to turn on the rear switches.

i attempted taking apart one of my switches a while back. big mistake also. lost a few of the tiny pieces in it

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Yeah i'd say you just earth out the white wire that goes to the child lock. If that works hook it to another switch so you can still use it, if you want.

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
Well a bit of trial and error, but it's working now. Linked the 2 wires going to the child lock together. The way i did it initially was to just cut them form the switch and connect them together. Whilst that overrode the child lock, it no longer had power to the front switch. So I connected the wires to the switch again and just put a bridge wire between them. And I got the led working again also. Thanks for the ideas fellas.

Not goin to do that again in a hurry, I was so ****ed off at the idea of having to buy another switch. But in the end for the sake of losing the child lock, I gained the rear window working again :) I don't intend to have children in the back neway :p

adstarr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Series II Sedan V6 Auto
VT Power Windows

I am in the process of converting my VT Exec manual windows to power using the How To's guide.

I have just discovered my BCM is a low model unit and will not take power windows. As I do not want to go through the hassle of swapping the BCM, I was going to try using the wiring diamgram as in post 44, where you use a Power Window Module out of a VN/VP/VR/VS and avoid the windows being wired to the BCM.

Before I go and buy one, will this work with my VT?? Is there any other parts I will need to make it work??

VT Calais parts I already have:
*4 power window regs
*Main Console Switch
*Rear Switches
*Wiring Looms

Is there another way to wire it up without the use of a module?

Many thanks in advance!!

Cyph3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II
Hi Guyz wondering if anyone can help me...
I am trying to get my Drivers side window working again in my VK Calais, We've taken out the window, regulator and cleaned up the motor which works fine now but on putting the regulator back in, it won't move with the motor!
Now the weird thing is when it's in I can move the window around by hand no problem...All the slides are in and moving, So I'm guessing there is a missing piece or there is a trick to setting the cogs up before bolting it back in again!

Does anyone know why they would be disengaged and not working as per normal???

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo R8 + VX Berlina 5.7
anybody know how this would work in a ute? (as in, only the front 2 windows....using the factory rear window switches in the console as per factory)

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
anybody know how this would work in a ute? (as in, only the front 2 windows....using the factory rear window switches in the console as per factory)

Doing front windows only will work just the same as has been described through this thread. Only difference being that the wiring involved is slightly different and there is less of it to be done. If you can source the wiring and control box from a vp, here's how holden wired front power windows up from the factory.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...243-installing-electric-windows-into-ute.html

Last edited:

jimmig81

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 WH
This is awesome I have had the parts for awhile just havent been shure hoe to go about it ill get onto it real soon

Borgie_13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1
G'day Everyone,
I own a 97 VT Executive and want to know how I can convert to power windows.
Ive bought all the doors from a VX Calais with all electrics and windows and was going to fit them but I heard that the plugs from the door to the car are different?
Also, it doesnt look like my car has the main loom for the centre switches, im currrently changing the carpet and seats so the whole interior is bare.
Just want to know what other parts i will need to do the conversion and maybe some tips on how to do it.
Cheers!