Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to install Power Windows

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
Can i safely wire the switches directly to ignition? Without having a power window module? Also if i do have a module, once i connect the switches to it, does it just get earthed and tapped into a 12v source? Cheers

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Yes but best run relays so the switch doesn't fry. Yes, the module is connected to Earth, Constant, Acc and Door pin they are the only connectons to the car. The other wires from the module go to your windows.

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes but best run relays so the switch doesn't fry. Yes, the module is connected to Earth, Constant, Acc and Door pin they are the only connectons to the car. The other wires from the module go to your windows.

...lol, now i have more questions. Sorry to be going round in circles but where would i attach the relays? And what do they look like. Also where can i grab them? Im basically doing all my own wires from the doors to the centre switches and then under the dash. Would it be at all possible to get a diagram drawn to assist me? Would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to stuff anything up.

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so im doing all the wiring for my power windows.. im using 3mm single core wire which i was told that it will be fine. Im not going to run a power window module, instead im just going to join it all according to post #44's diagram and then run all the power wires to the ignition etc. I need to know if this will work and if i need to fuse any or all power wires, what amps for the fuse and what else do i need to do to make this successful. Any help will be great, if someone could sketch up a diagram i would be over the moon.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Outside of that diagram I am not sure. I know that works and not sure how to go about doing it the way you are. You won't be able to use a standard fuse. You'll need a 30 amp circuit breaker. Looks like you could join the red/white wire from the switches to power (make sure there is a fuse inline) from ignition and it should be fine.

Off the top of my head if you use a 4 pin relay you can wire it as follows

87 Constant Power (Positive off battery or Power from fuse panel) Put the circuit breaker/fuse in this line.
85 Earth
86 Wire from switches
30 Ignition wire

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Outside of that diagram I am not sure. I know that works and not sure how to go about doing it the way you are. You won't be able to use a standard fuse. You'll need a 30 amp circuit breaker. Looks like you could join the red/white wire from the switches to power (make sure there is a fuse inline) from ignition and it should be fine.

Off the top of my head if you use a 4 pin relay you can wire it as follows

87 Constant Power (Positive off battery or Power from fuse panel) Put the circuit breaker/fuse in this line.
85 Earth
86 Wire from switches
30 Ignition wire

lol and here i thought my idea would be easy :S maybe i should be patient and grab a power window module and all the necessary plugs and just join them up with my wiring so it can be sort of plug and play if that makes sense... idk.. i think i got a bit over zealous with this project. power windows are hard lol.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Lol, fair enough. It's up to you if you want to hook to straight power with a fuse/circuit breaker or with a relay. In the end the module will be just as easy/difficult, lol.

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol, fair enough. It's up to you if you want to hook to straight power with a fuse/circuit breaker or with a relay. In the end the module will be just as easy/difficult, lol.

Would you like to do it for me? :) i can pay you in sandwiches..

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Hahaha, sorry mate. I have no time. Finding time to work on my own car is hard enough.

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hahaha, sorry mate. I have no time. Finding time to work on my own car is hard enough.

All good my friend. Ive got both calais rear doors in now. I mainly just need some advice about wire colours. Its from a vp calais. Theres 3 wires right? I got green/yellow, blue/yellow and black/white. Yet i dont know what is what on the diagram as its vn calais. Help?