Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to install Power Windows

ssturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
i just put power windows in my vr ss all plugs are all ready there exept for rears. no.5 fuse was their but no relays under steering column put relays in and it give me power to console swiches drv window goes up but not down.can i swap my low bcm for a mid one without bypassing the bcm

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
Where does the relay actually plug into? I've had a pretty good look around my fuse box and I can't find anywhere obvious for a relay to plug in, I'm actually considering just running a power wire straight from the battery [with a suitable fuse of course] to the appropriate wires on the switch blocks to avoid all the messing around with relays and also to have "always on" power windows.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Hi guys, I've got replacement regulators to put in. I was wondering what length bolts are the most suitable to bolt in with. The a/m regs have a M7 thread manufactured in them so I just need a length.

Thanks in advance.

antondude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim 2
Hi guys, ive started to attempt power window installation.
I am just doing the front 2 windows i have got the regulators, and have tested them on the battery and work.
I have run the extension cable for the switches and installed them, i have also got the relay module which was a 4 pin from the wreckers.
They also gave me another 2 which are the smaller ones and i fitted them. *See pics*
The switches now light up but still no action from the regulators :/ any ideas ?
Its a VS Acclaim II and had the loom in the door already. I ran a power test and find power is running through the cable to the regs, so im stumped...

993434_10201799180157803_1230858036_n.jpg

1425586_10201799180277806_864120526_n.jpg

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the power window system, or a list of the colour coding system used on the centre switchblocks or main wiring looms for the power windows? I have hit a minor roadblock in the installation and I am thinking the easiest way around it is to just make up my own wiring looms to and from the switches to some of the window regulators, hence the need to know colour codings. Right now I have switches installed in the centre console, and these have power to them-the little green lights light up, and the two front doors have plugs in them as well, one of which is tested as being functional and the other, right hand one is not functional-I believe this is BCM related, I plan on just bypassing the BCM and connecting it directly to the switch itself. There is nothing at all in the rear doors so I plan to make my own loom for these two doors as well.

If anyone could tell me where each of these will need to connect to the main switches in the centre console, that would be greatly appreciated.

bunkyvs ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
im in the process of doing this too, have purchased 2 vs calais doors vs acclaim console as acclaim only had front power windows to the best of my knowledge.on checking with the wrecker where i got the console from all the wiring harness,have provision for this option from factory .
so far it appears he is right.found wiring plugs for console swiches up behind the stereo these plugged straight in to console switches.
removed the kick panels below the dash and located one green and one black wiring plug these look as though they will plug staight to the doors factory plugs as well.this is the stage im up to now,what i want to know is now that ive put the window fuse and relays (from wreckers) the swich buttons light up is that normal or have i a wiring problem?.

holdenvys2

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vy
not relevant so sorry but how do i post things on this site,
I'm new to all this

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
So after a year of procrastination I got my windows in. Found an interesting situation-wiring looms to the two front doors plus halfway to the right hand rear door but nothing on the left. Found it odd. Had to run wires to bypass the BCM for the front right hand window and had to run 3 wires to the rear hand left window. Other than that was easy. Hardest bit was getting the regs in.

We decided that M6 bolts were a better fit than M8 bolts as well. 16mm long M6 bolts we found to be the best fit, if anyone finds this useful. I originally brought massively oversized bolts which were just ridiculously too big for anything useful.

My main recommendation to anyone planning this would be to check the wiring channels and see just what wiring looms are and are not there. It's not that big a deal to figure out the wiring for whatever looms are not there.

G-dogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S series II
hi all i had an attempt, and i got everything working. i needed no such looms, all i needed was just 2 extra wires, the process is childs play. I may be wrong but i think, every commodore has all the luxuory features, its just a matter of connecting them, as example electric windows. if you commodore has the windup windows, just remove the centre console near your arm rest tray. the connection is there right under your nose. so i picked up a second hand control box, that plugs directly there, i did have to angle grind the tray out, and made a perfect fit, with lots of patients can be done. I also bought 4 second hand motors 2 front 2 rear and to back switches, which i had to buy 2 new rear inner door trims to fit the connection. (with a hole) i found when trying to remove the looms on the rear door, you need to keep the front door widely opend to reach it and pull it out to add the extra wires, a lot of patients needed. connect those additional wires to the motors and buy the relay and fuse switches where the diagram tell you to install, worked perfect for me the first time, only the motors are a bit old, greece the window slides and all works perfect.