Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to install Power Windows

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
hako said:
No problems - sold the horse and now on a bike. One thing you possibly forgot in the post on power windows is 4 X Bandaids in the 'tools required'. Every time I take a door trim off to fix a regulator or lock I'll cut myself on those sharp edges and donate blood to the car.

lol ive done that a few times but more so on those sharp body rails the seals go on.... they are a bit dangerous

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
since installing the windows the other week ive had two problems

one was the passenger window not going up but going down... i started checking with my good friend mr multimeter and couldnt find and issue with the switch. this stumped me for a while as i had condinuity to the window and power was switching to it. i ended up discovering that even thow the switch was working it wasnt putting out enough power.. i worked this out by simply using a wire to bridge the power to the suspect terminal and pushing it at the same time to remove the earth (the earth is connected to the switch when in the off position)

I fixed this problem by pulling the switch apart and sanding the suspect terminals. This required the buttons to be removed (both) and then the leds had to be soldered out in order to get the two halves of the cover apart. once they are off you can see the contacts and the bad ones were badly tarnished. I recommend you test the switch apart so if you didnt quite clean them proberly you dont have to pull the switch apart again.

the second issue i had was my drivers window suddenly stoped going down... i repaired this by removing the power window module all together as it had some dry solder joins and i couldnt seem to repair it by simply re soldering them. so i bridged the direct power to the window loom's apropriate power line. this cause all windows except the drivers side to work..
to get the drivers side to work i had to trace the switch outputs and then bridge them to the apropraite regulator terminal (eg up to up)

now the windows all work with no power window module so i have lost my auto down but im not to worried about that

just thaught id let you guys know incase anyone else has issues

Anton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 VQ Statesman
may seem a silly question to some of you but all the work seems to be in the door. couldnt you more easily get the doors from a calais or any model with power windows already installed and simply attach the doors and wire it up to a battery or your car battery?

bush_basha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
i have installed power windows into my exec a few months ago, and i took my dash out what a C^nt of a job that was, and yeh all seemed ok when the passenger side wasnt align properly and popped off its rails so make sure thats all aligned otherwise off with the door cards again!!

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
Anton said:
may seem a silly question to some of you but all the work seems to be in the door. couldnt you more easily get the doors from a calais or any model with power windows already installed and simply attach the doors and wire it up to a battery or your car battery?

ye you could do that but good luck finding the same colour doors in good condition but hey it certainly would be easier that way however it would probably cost more too

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
it looks hard but really it isn't, besides you should enjoy spending some quality time with your car learning how it works, then you'll be able to fix it too when it desides to play up a bit, i managed to to the conversion no worries this is a really good thread by the way thanks HDT_aero :bow: my windows are workin like a hummm dinger

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
no probs i hope that this thread gives others the confidence to become more DIY orientated

etower

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp exe s2 3.8
Sticky please. Great thread;)

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
ye should probably be a sticky but how do you make it sticky??

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
by getting people to scream "PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY"

Perhaps AirStrike will decide to make it sticky.

this thread had everything needed for a power window conversion, should be made for all to see :D