Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To: Install speakers

U2Bono

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
I have a 1998 VT Executive. I want to put speakers in the back behind the back head rests. I have a JVC KD-S821R CD player installed.

Can any one provide step by step instructions to a novice.

Thanks

S

sick_vt

Do you want to put speakers in the headrests?? A good pair of 6 x 9's in the rear parcel shelf like Sony or Kenwood 3 ways will give you some nice bass and sound clarity. 6 x 9's will go straight in. You will need to get some speaker grill covers from Holden or Ebay to let the sound through as there's just an oval piece of masonite in the shelf. Just pop it out and put in the grills.

Cheers
sick_vt

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
sick_vt said:
Do you want to put speakers in the headrests?? A good pair of 6 x 9's in the rear parcel shelf like Sony or Kenwood 3 ways will give you some nice bass and sound clarity. 6 x 9's will go straight in. You will need to get some speaker grill covers from Holden or Ebay to let the sound through as there's just an oval piece of masonite in the shelf. Just pop it out and put in the grills.

Cheers
sick_vt
Your a muppet :)

The shelf on the top is made from plastic and covered in some spray on fluff crap , the shelf underneath is metal with 2 plates that are cut but have 6 small spot welds holding them in.
The top shelf needs to cut 10mm inside of the line then 8 slots made so the tabs from the factory steel grilles can slide through then bend under to hold them in , these are available from Holden for about $30 pr.
6x9s will drop straight in once the plates are removed , you need to drill 4 holes for the speakers to screw down.

Run the wires all the way to the front as there is no wiring on the rear shelf for speakers.
Hook them up to the rear channels from your deck and disconnect the rear doors.
Any questions ?

U2Bono

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Already have the speakers sitting in, there was once speakers and some other audio gear in the back, as they left some wiring behind. 6x9s went straight in, have the grills to cover them up, was not sure exacly where to run the wires to.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
well it usually goes something like this....(but I have never done a VT) remove the rear seats then the skirts that hold down the edge of the carpet (at the bottom of the door frame) front and back door on one side of the car, remove the kick panel (which is the plastic panel next to your feet in the front, and simply run the speaker wires under the edge of the carpet all the way to the back of the head unit, then put it all together and your done. I don't know how easily a VT comes apart tho so you may have some trouble putting things back together. (but it was easy in my VL).

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
VTs are messy MoFos. You will need a T-15Torx bit to remove the plastic trims along the sides.

B

Brasso

How would you install the speakers through an amp in the boot?? wat wires need to go where?

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
Your a muppet :)

The shelf on the top is made from plastic and covered in some spray on fluff crap , the shelf underneath is metal with 2 plates that are cut but have 6 small spot welds holding them in.
The top shelf needs to cut 10mm inside of the line then 8 slots made so the tabs from the factory steel grilles can slide through then bend under to hold them in , these are available from Holden for about $30 pr.
6x9s will drop straight in once the plates are removed , you need to drill 4 holes for the speakers to screw down.

hey just quickly how do you pop out those 2 metal plates? is it just applied force? because i already have the space on the parcel shelf for the 6x9"s and i need to get the covers off but to do that i need to access them from underneath them, in the boot and hopefully from there i can pop it out.

james