Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to install VT/VX Centre Console light

rch-13z

Former Photoshop Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.karcreations.com.au
Members Ride
VT Exec

Today I undertook the installation of the centre console light which I believe comes in the higher end models. I thought whilst I installed it I would take some pics and hopefully make it a little easier for the next person.

Any problems or mis-information please PM me I'll sort it out..

20062008052.jpg
20062008054.jpg

===================================================

What you will need:

20062008019.jpg

Centre console lighting kit, off ebay for about $35.
Phillips head screwdriver
Thing flat head screwdriver
Small socket set of thin-nose pliers if you don't have any tools like me.
About 2 hours to burn.

===================================================

How to do it:

20062008029.jpg

1. Remove rubber Matt in front of shifter, you will find 2 Phillips head screws.

20062008045.jpg

2. Put the shifter into 1st or 2nd (make sure handbrake is on & working) and pull the lower panel toward you, slow but with a slight bit of force.

20062008017.jpg

3. Its probably easier to also remove the ash tray so you have room to play around, in order to do this just take out the 2 Phillips head screws on either side.

20062008046.jpg

4.Just in front of the auto shifter you will find 4 Phillips head screws (2 vertical & 2 horizontal). Take these off and proceed to step 5.

5. Roll the front seats all the way back & remove 1 Phillips head screw of the side of the console. You may need to then roll the seats all the way forward and remove another Phillips head screw off each side.

20062008020.jpg

6.Open the centre console and remove the rubber Matt from the bottom of the console which will reveal 2 bolts, remove the nuts off the bolts.

20062008048.jpg

7. At the back of the centre console where the hinge sits there should be 2 Phillips head screws holding the console cover down. Take these 2 screws off which will reveal a further 2 screws (pictured above). Once these screws are out you should be able to take out the air vents and the back of the centre console which will give room to get the wiring into place.

**Please note: At this stage you may have enough room to lever the centre console up enough to slide through the cables to hook the lighting up, I followed the next couple of steps to ensure I did not damage any components.

20062008032.jpg

8. Open the glove box if you look in the back right hand corner you will notice a round-ish plug, remove it using a flat-head screwdriver (the thinner the better). Once that is out you can then lever the glove box to the left and pop it out.

20062008033.jpg

9.You will see 3 Phillips head screws down the right side of the glove box, remove them and move onto step 10.

20062008026.jpg

10. You should now been able to pop off the side panel which will reveal the un-used outlet which you will require to power the ‘console light’. It will be taped to the main harness, just remove the tape and its ready to be plugged up.

11. There will also be another screw under the panel you have just removed. Screw it off.

[
20062008022.jpg

12. Now on the drivers side you will find 2 Phillips heads screws once you pop open the fuse cover. This will unveil another screw, also take it off.

20062008025.jpg

13. You should be able to freely move the centre console, Lift it up from the back & remove the screw which holds the air-conditioning pipes into place, this will allow you enough room to slide on the plugs for the console light.

20062008024.jpg

20062008021.jpg

13. Now remove the blanks as shown above then feed the wiring up into to both the light and also the switch.

14. Pop the new light cover and switch into place & pop on the light fittings.

15. Now pull the wiring down across the passenger side and plug it in. The light should now work & the switch should also work when you press the button.

16. Now just reverse the process of re-installing the console and glove box.

20062008044.jpg

20062008028.jpg

==========================

And just to give you an idea, here are some images of the total screws which are placed around the dash...

20062008049.jpg
20062008050.jpg

Hope this helps!​

Last edited:

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
wow man good thread didn't realize there is that much work to fit it thats unreal, top job though

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
Good job rich. i understand what you mean by how hard it is.

all that hard work for a little light lol.

good job. feel like doing my car? its allready apart ready for you!

rch-13z

Former Photoshop Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.karcreations.com.au
Members Ride
VT Exec
Good job rich. i understand what you mean by how hard it is.

all that hard work for a little light lol.

good job. feel like doing my car? its allready apart ready for you!

Does your model have the same option?

If so buy the parts and ill hook it up

rch-13z

Former Photoshop Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.karcreations.com.au
Members Ride
VT Exec
it doesn't have the provisions for it but i have a spare glove box switch and light. could that do it?

Thats pretty much all you need, o yeah and the button that turns the light off when the console is closed.... your vn would probably have it...

Just not 100% with anything other than vt vx

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
i found out my car does have the option.

it came out on vr calais.

now just to get the parts. .

actually **** it.
ill just buy the same kit as you and modify it to work for my car lol.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
and guys tis pretty much the same for VY/VZ.

But DONT GO EBAY (you bad boy rich), holden sell the parts for $10 retail. Wiring loom, switch, light socket and globe. Just need to cut the end off the wiring loom to fit because its designed for calais etc that already have them fitted and although lower spec cars have the cut outs the wiring isnt there to support it.

I hard wired mine into the constant power supply of the mobile phone plug so it switches on/off anytime the lid is open, but you can also wire it into the accessories supply on the plug so it switches off with ignition off (so when your interior light flicks off). Great for if you accidentally leave it open overnight ... and if you go through your car for CDs at 1am when your drunk you'll know what I mean