Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to install VT/VX Centre Console light

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
cheers for the writeup man. installed mine today. Got the glove box light and switch free from my local wreckers:D now i can see all the crap in there at night:p
next up to fit an led in there instead lol. good one:thumbsup:

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
not meaning to drag up an old thread, but i can't see the photos? is this just my work computer or are they not there anymore?
i've fitted the wiring, now i have to pull my glovebox out to get it all working, i simply couldnt find the little s##t of a thing :bang:

ps: i used the search option :thumbsup:

EDIT: turns out the work computer cant show the images, i can see them here at home, thanks! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RedHot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Thanx rch. Good description and pics too. Good work. Hopefully it will instal as easily as you show. Auto electricians look out!

Orpheus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Acclaim
My glove box light doesn't work so after doing some searching I found this great thread, Might as well do this while I'm at it.

I can't find the ebay kit you are talking about, can someone please list all the items I will need?

Torquative:

are there the only parts needed? "" Holden sell the parts for $10 retail. Wiring loom, switch, light socket and globe.""

what did you ask when you asked Holden for parts?

Gazzr08

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF II SSV Redline
If you say, "can I get the centre console wiring set from a CV8R Monaro" they should know what you are talking about. That is what I asked when I got mine.....think the lights also come in Calais possibly?

Also I just put mine in my VX SS and I couldn't find that female plug, I found a different one with 4 or more wires in it and it was a different shape....but in the same spot as yours. Is there some other double light set or sumtin?

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
More tips for removal of centre console unit

driver's side.jpgpassenger's side.jpgSites Of Plastic Breaks.jpgWhere The Breaks & Fractures Occurred.jpgBroken Air Vent Tab.jpgRepaired Broken Air Vent Tab.jpg

Great post - I did a lot of searching before finding this "how to" and it helped me heaps !!!!!
I needed to remove and replace the traction control switch, though to be honest the how to was not quite descriptive enough.
Looking at the photos, I can't help but wonder what it was that the previous owner spilt, but it went everywhere.....Coffee? Or maybe Molassess? Who knows?

I followed the instructions but could not get the console to come up high enough to remove the traction control switch. The 2 upper tabs mentioned in step #4 broke off while I was trying to remove the console. As well the area near the lower tabs (where the spring clip is shown in that photo) also fractured; in truth it almost broke completely. That'll give you an idea of the amount of leverage I was using to try to remove the console after all the other screws in steps #5 through to #7 were removed. I will also mention that the 2 screws referred to in step #7 are hidden. After the console lid hinge is removed, the screws shown (at the top of the housing) are not evident until you unclip and remove the "Upside down U" shaped piece of trim that hides the screws.

Now I don't know if my wagon had something not genuine fitted, but I finally realised (why didn't I realise this an hour before?) there was 1 more screw on either side of the console and they were what was causing the console to remain in its' general location, I now know those screws are what caused the plastic tabs to break.

To get access to these screws you have to prise out the lower front section on either side of the console, this will reveal the hidden screws that need to be removed to allow the console to be lifted up. Because those screws were still in situ, whilst I was trying to raise the rear of the console to manouever the console out, the screw that holds the rear facing air vents to the console itself, caused the palstic tab through which the screw passes before threading into the air vent, to break. I have shown this tab in another photo, and the repair job, too.

So although most of the retaining screw had broken off, I managed to repair them all using an electric soldering iron to heat & melt the plastic to effect repairs. I'll admit it doesn't look pretty, but the result is that repairs were made and the console, once replaced is secured properly and there is no visual evidence of the repairs.

Hopefully this addendum may help others looking to remove the console in their ride.

May I apologise for the fact that the uploaded pictures are not really placed ideally within this post; one day i might learn how to do that properly.

Attachments

• Not Pretty, But Repaired 001.jpg
    Not Pretty, But Repaired 001.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 734
  • Not Pretty, But Repaired 002.jpg
    Not Pretty, But Repaired 002.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 842

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
^^^^^ I just went through the same as you, but mine doesnt have dried coke everywhere?? lolol

Only thing i broke was the drivers kick panel. Not too bad.

Regarding the Traction and Power switches, mate they are hard **** to remove. Check out my build thread. in my signature (just finished doing it now)
Centre console removed, then unscrew the lil screw on the front of the gear selector shaft, then press and hold down the button with duct tape and remove the centre pin on the shaft, tap it as far on one side then pull out with pliers on other side and remove the gear selector shaft

Then you can remove the gear selector surround, then take it apart via the tabs and things will fall round everywhere but fit back together normally later on
then get a screw driver and remove the switches/change globes and put it back together again

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Anyone know were I can get this kit from at a reasonable price? holden said they no longer make them, and havent found one under 70 online.
Is it the same as the glove box?

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Plenty used. I got most the way through this and the rear of the console pieces snagged and went no further with no way of accessing for harness. Had to reassemble and go to work.