Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install VY/VZ Sunglasses holder in VT/VX

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
well i gave up trying to hook this up today, it only works with the doors open, not on/off with the switch.

i've just checked the wiring diagram connect the violet wire from the lights to ground and it should all work

the reason why it probably changed from black to violet is the luxury BCM switches the ground off with the ignition

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
yeah i tried connecting it to earth but it blow the fues. i used like 10 of them stuffing around with it to. ill give it another go next weekend thanks mate.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
Thanks for this great write up,I find it to be the best / the most helpful write up regarding sunglass holder wiring,
done this mod this arvo,followed everything except jointing the two red wires,(a bit different situation,I used VY calais roof lining with vy harness,so it has a plug on sunglass holder side,the other end goes to B pillar and the rear courtesy lights,I just cut and re wired the plug on driver's B pillar side to my original 4 wire plug)
everything works,i.e all lights turn on individually,all lights turn on when doors open or when turn off ignition or when press remote to open the doors,lights go off when lock the doors
30sec delay works
ONLY thing doesn't work is the main switch on sunglass holder,soon as I press the main switch,the relay fries.,
do I have to cut and joint the two red wire?reason I didn't joint these two wires is they connect to some other wires which seems go to the rear courtesy lights?

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
hi,is there an easier way to fit this in my vx,i dont want to hook up the lights i just want to use the sunglass holder,thanks

rch-13z

Former Photoshop Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.karcreations.com.au
Members Ride
VT Exec
hi,is there an easier way to fit this in my vx,i dont want to hook up the lights i just want to use the sunglass holder,thanks

Well you could just buy the holder, cut fitting hole in the hoodlining and bolt it up to the holes that are pre-taped into the roof-mounting

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
thanks ,i just have to find the courage to cut my hood lining

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
or u can buy a VY-VZ roof lining which already has the hole

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
i just did this mod yesterday i too was worried about cutting rooflining wrong but i also have another one to use if i stuffed it up. i just cut a rectangle whole in the trim where i thought the holes were for the screws were when i found them i got two very long screws to use for mocing up with the template i made from cardboard. i used the long screws to attach my template to the roof lining and traced around it then removed the template and screws and started to cut it out and bingo fit straight in.

very helpful diy with the wiring side of things works like a factory unit a mod i should have done along time ago as really brightens up the interior with the lights on..

vcrb25

Reaction score
Members Ride
6spd VZ Ute
hey just wondering if anyone found out if its posible and how to to install into a vz ute i have the rectangle hole in the roof but my rooflining sits pretty close to the body, it doesn't dip down between the sunvisors. wanted to know before i cut any holes?

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
I used this 'how to' quite successfully to install a sunglass holder with map lights in to a VT that had a Calais style centre dome light with map lights. Thanks to all the posters who've posted tips.

A couple of weeks ago though I decided to swap the roof lining and trims to black VY Calais trims. The Calais trims have the lights in the rear as well and this is where I run into a problem. I've spent hours trawling around trying to find some clear instruction on this but to no avail.

In another thread someone mentioned diodes and relays to get it to work OEM. Has anyone successfully done this swap and if so, how did you connect the four wires from the VT to the five wires in the VY loom and get it to work properly? As mentioned above, I've gone through a handful of fuses already and I'm stumped.

I (VT) have four wires: Orange/Black trace
Yellow/Blue trace
White/Green trace
Black

The roof (VY) lining/trim loom has 5 wires: Orange/ Black trace
Yellow/Green trace
White/Green trace
Purple
Black

So yeah, if anyone's done this conversion successfully and you can tell me specifically what to do I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.