Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install VY/VZ Sunglasses holder in VT/VX

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
OK guys, im still in the process of doing this so ill upload the last few photos in the morning.

Parts needed:
1x Centre roof console sunglasses holder from VY/VZ
4x 1 meter lengths of automotive wire (i used same colour as existing to make it easier)
1x Template to cut roof trim ( i will scan and upload my template soon when i can be bothered scanning lol!)
1x 4/6 pin connector plug kit from electronics store
Soldering Iron
Solder
Shrink Wrap

Step 1) Start by dismantling the car. remove the pillar covers next to the front windscreen, both front roof handles and windscreen visors. This will allow the roof trim to fall free.

Step 2) Behind the roof trim you should see a rectangular hole with two screw holes on each side. What you need to do is poke a Stanley knife through the roof trim into that rectangular hole. This will allow us to line up the template and get an accurate cut.

Step 3) Once the hole has been made, line up the template, mark it out and cut away. You might want to cut the hole a little smaller then the template at first just to be on the safe side. Once you've got the whole right, it should sit in there beautifully.

Step 3) WIRING! What you need to do for the wiring is remove the old plug from the console and cut off all of the wires and strip them back about 1cm. Get 4x lengths of 10cm or so wires and extend the current ones since they are too short now to attach a plug to the end of it. The wires you need to extend are shown in the image. The Red and Red/black wires on the console get joined together.

Step 3) The plugs i used are attached in an image below. Slide some shrink wrap over the wires (2 pieces on each wire, one for join, one for connector pin), then crimp on the connector pin. I then soldered the connection so i never have a problem with flickering lights.

Step 4) Once you've soldered the connections, shrink the shrink wrap over all solder points like i have in the image and then put the pins into the connector. Thats it! you've done this half of the work! I used a 6 pin plug rather than a 4 pin plug because one day i might either install a screen in my sunnies mount, or run an steering wheel adapter IR LED to the console, so ill leave those 2 slots empty for now :)

Step 5) Do the same crimping/shrink wrap process for the mating end of the connector ensuring the same wires are going into the correct pins. Once your done, electrical tape the wire to make it look like a factory loom and run it from the Dome lamp hole in your roof trim to your sunglasses hole.

Attachments

• P9160152.JPG
    P9160152.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 4,808
  • P9160164.JPG
    P9160164.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 4,550
  • P9160160.JPG
    P9160160.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 5,752
  • P9160159.JPG
    P9160159.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 4,025
  • P9160157.JPG
    P9160157.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 3,877
  • P9160155.JPG
    P9160155.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 4,163
  • P9160165.JPG
    P9160165.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 3,931
  • P9160166.jpg
    P9160166.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4,186
Last edited:

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Step 6) Run your new loom through the roof from the centre console to the dome lamp. I cut mine about this long (look at attached image). You can also see the cut i made to the roof trim in this photo.

Step 7) What you need to do is on the dome lamp loom, cut all the wires except White/Green Trace at about whatever length you feel comfortable. Be mindful that you cant pull the loom out any further unless you remove the roof trim.

The way you need to connect them are as follows:
(my loom ------------ dome lamp loom)
Black --------------- Earth to the roof via the screw for the dome lamp (in later pic)
Green -------------- Orange/black
White -------------- Black
Blue ---------------- Yellow/blue

Step 7) Before you solder your wires slip some shrink wrap on. Much easier than electrical tape and looks better. There is a pic attached on how I joined my wires before soldering.

Step 8) Once you have soldered / shrink wrapped all of your wires, tape up the loom if you wish so its all bound. The original dome lamp had a slit in one of the leg posts for the mounting screw (as shown in picture) I slipped my ground through here with an O-ring type terminal on the end. very easy to ground like this.

Step 9) Once your done, plug it all up, and YOUR ALL DONE! Wasnt so hard was it?

All up this cost me:
$15 for the centre roof console
$7 for the connection plug
$2.50 for shrink wrap
$6 on wire (i bought 7 core trailer wire since i couldnt find the colors i needed seperate in automotive gauge)

Not bad :yeah:

All lights work independently and turn on when doors open. Only fault with the way it is wired now is that if the dome lamp is switched to "Off" the new console will not turn on when the doors open / car is unlocked. they DO however still work manually as map lights. So no big deal. Only way around this is to get a VY/VZ loom and run a whole bunch of other cabling which, in my opinion, is just NOT WORTH IT! Why would you have your dome lamp set to OFF anyway?

Attachments

• P9170178.JPG
    P9170178.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 3,420
  • P9170177.JPG
    P9170177.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 5,858
  • P9170176.JPG
    P9170176.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 3,475
  • P9170175.JPG
    P9170175.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 3,673
  • P9170173.JPG
    P9170173.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 3,866
  • P9170171.JPG
    P9170171.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 5,445
  • P9170179.JPG
    P9170179.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 3,816
  • P9170180.JPG
    P9170180.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 4,072
  • P9170186.JPG
    P9170186.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 6,249
Last edited:

jiffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Clubsport
Hi There,
I tried this mod over the weekend, putting it into my VY S1 Clubsport.

The physical install worked great, but unfortunately the wiring didn't. The map lights I got didn't have a black wire. The other wires are identical.

Any ideas?

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
You might not have the black wire because you might not have individual switchable map lights. Do you have real buttons or fakes on your sunglasses holder?

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I just performed this mod on my mates VX series 1. His car did not have the required rectangular slot in the roof (second post, first picture)

This caused some issues. There were however the required mouting holes for 2x screws. These screws were too low though, so do not cut out your roof trim aligned to these holes. You will need to re drill those holes about 1.25 cm higher up (away from windsheild) then cut your roof trim, or else the console will not sit in correctly.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
I just performed this mod on my mates VX series 1. His car did not have the required rectangular slot in the roof (second post, first picture)

This caused some issues. There were however the required mouting holes for 2x screws. These screws were too low though, so do not cut out your roof trim aligned to these holes. You will need to re drill those holes about 1.25 cm higher up (away from windsheild) then cut your roof trim, or else the console will not sit in correctly.

You forgot to add removing the rectangular clip from the lights so it would fit :D

It still came out great though, it was good i dropped something in the car last night, turned the new lights on and it was soooo much easier to see around the car, and it just looks awesome too lol.

cheers man

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
i like this, great job mate im gonna try this in my vx s2 when i get a chance

on another note, i have a calais center light dome and 2 rear country lights would it be any diffrent to the wiring ?????

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
i like this, great job mate im gonna try this in my vx s2 when i get a chance

on another note, i have a calais center light dome and 2 rear country lights would it be any diffrent to the wiring ?????

If the calais center light dome is the same as mine then no, you shouldn't have a problem, anark can explain more but it's pretty much almost the same.

Here is a pic of my center light, http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...50d1251593496-my-vx-ex-copper-27082009302.jpg (ignore the IR thingo), if yours is like that, then it will work fine, as anark did this mod on my car yesterday.

jiffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Clubsport
You might not have the black wire because you might not have individual switchable map lights. Do you have real buttons or fakes on your sunglasses holder?

Nah, it's just fake buttons :(

How do I wire it up now?

Slick SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Ute
I have a VZ ute will this conversion work for me?