Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to install VZ Flutes, molded into standard gaurds...

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
more or less, yes. i did fibreglass it, and then sanded it (going by strokes of my hand) probably over 3,000 (maybe more, like 10-20k?) times, and someone else had tried doing them with bog and it didn't work, so i went straight for fibreglass, and so far all's sweet. using bog may well work, but the previous attempts had cracks, as did everything else i used bog for >.< so i didn't bother, havent had a problem with fibreglass yet (besides how long it takes to sand back..) so i went for that.

Most of the time i spent on them was more so for shaping, i used a heap of spray putty after sanding the glass down to get the shape i wanted, looots of time, and lots of spray putty -.-' virtually bog, but it's never cracked for me or anything, used it on a bumper that was in a shockin state, the bumper is now cracked in many places and still cant see any of the cunks that it had, so i went the hack with it on my flutes.

ah back on the first page with the mirrors, hmm, it was never specified exactly where they were, but i've seen a set done years ago (very, very dodgy..) with the popper on the bottom of the 1/4 windows on the rear doors.it may, or may not have been similiar to that, just removed a small section of the mirror and trim beneath it so a popper can sit there or something, i dunno..? be creative lol.

Last edited:

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
also just thought i should post an update, the glass held up pretty sweet so far, no cracks at all as of yet and still looking exactly as the day i installed the guards. i can post pictures if needed..

EDIT;

08-06-2013 - I also spoke to somebody 1-2 months ago about them, who was saying he had a mate with a ~vr? a few towns away and had flutes installed by a panel joint, gets the car back sometime later, lookin nice, happy with the work etc, drives home and finds cracks the whole way around. needless to say he took it back, and they fixed it (properly this time) and they have apparently not cracked since.. its obviously not the easiest or nicest of jobs to do without getting the cracking etc.

hmm, so my FILLER has cracked (unsure of the fibreglass thats actually holding the flute in) but it seems i ALWAYS have this bloody problem using filler, no matter what i do it always cracks, and i know i did my guard in reasonably thin stages, not only that i spent 2-4 weeks on the filler stage with the guards, so its not like i rushed it or anything..

as far as i recall my drivers side is MUCH worse then the passenger side (Which makes me wonder if it's something to do with the fact my drivers side door and guard rub when i open my door) so more or less, at some point i need to rip my guards off and sand all the bog right back to panel/glass so i can see if the glass has actually held up or not. (I somehow doubt the glass has cracked, as i imagine if it did crack AROUND the flute there would be a distinctive line through the bog also, there is NO cracking around where the flute joins to the panel, its ALL on the face of the flute) more or less after i sand it back, i'm just going to do what i can to get it as flush as possible, and leave the face of the flute as plastic, last time i bogged completely over both of them and had to slightly shape it myself as i went (bloody hard to shape two flutes by hand and try make them the same when they start out a bit dicky from sanding the glass back -.-') whenever i get around for this (not any time soon as I've been broke for months now, and need to fix this other car to bugger it off before anything happens >.<) but when i get around to it i'll post progress and stuff.. just hating it so, so much right now, i almost cried when i say everything over the top had cracked, i spent soooo many hours on that crap :'( thing that really annoys me is where i shaved the aerial hole has stayed perfect since, face of my flutes and my boot lock, nooooo. -.-'

Last edited: