Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to interpret Battery Voltage reading vs. battery life

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
No they dont, the whole system runs perfectly fine using aftermarket batteries like the din65lh.
Both the ve and vf all variants work just fine with them.

https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/resources/battery-finder/product/din65lh mf/70472

With respect, the Century charging advice for ‘MF’ batteries specifies upper voltage limits that are exceeded at times in the VE/VF. https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/technical-support/battery-care-maintenance#Battery Charging

The battery may indeed work ‘fine’ but it will periodically gas which will shorten its life. As well, those corrosive gasses will be released within the confines of the vehicle.

I would recommend sticking to the battery type that matches that the changing system in the vehicle.

It would be interesting to hear Century’s response on changing their recommended battery at 15+ volts.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The bettery i linked was one specified by century for the vf and i dont know where you two got the idea that it vents into the "confined space" because it has a venting system that connects to the existing vent tube in the vf boot so it does not do that.

I use the same battery in all of my ve and vf for the last 10 years without an issue because the battery works fine and is made to work with them.

The simple fact is you do not need to use the factory battery in them.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It can't be done with most automatics as the torque converter needs to be operating to select gears
I heard in the early days you could if you push it above 50ks, never tried it my self but herd overs who have and it works, problem is no fluid pressure on the clutch plates so its not possible these days to start a auto without destroying your vehicle.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The bettery i linked was one specified by century for the vf and i dont know where you two got the idea that it vents into the "confined space" because it has a venting system that connects to the existing vent tube in the vf boot so it does not do that.

I use the same battery in all of my ve and vf for the last 10 years without an issue because the battery works fine and is made to work with them.

The simple fact is you do not need to use the factory battery in them.
Correct, a vented battery lol, allowing fumes in your closed vehicle bugger that get a sealed one they can handle it, the engine bay gets hotter than a boot. I know I wouldn't want sulphate from the battery letting oxygen and hydrogen gases flowing in my boot.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
again where are you people getting the idea it is venting into the boot?

20191220-164135.jpg

it vents into a tube that goes outside of the vehicle, not only that a sealed battery will STILL vent when the pressure gets high enough to prevent the battery exploding which is why the factory battery has the tube vent.

you are being told these cool stories by people invested in you buying the acdelco replacement and if you want to fall for that bs thats fine but again the original comment i replied to was "you must use the factory battery" which is not correct and that is like saying you must use acdelco replacement parts for everything.
the century battery for the vf is specified by them and comes with a 10 year warranty and imo they last longer than the acdelco junk the vehicle comes with.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I don’t think anyone has been saying that you must use the OEM battery, but rather that it should be of the same type as the OEM battery so that it suits the charging system.

Lead-acid batteries with calcium have different charging characteristics to non-calcium types.

I’m pleased to see that the Century battery does have a vent tube so any gas released goes to the outside of the vehicle.

I wasn’t sure that the Century battery is a calcium type or not as the Century website doesn’t seem to provide that information. However, I did find that the Yuasa branded version does indeed state that it is a calcium type.

If the Century branded version is indeed a calcium type, then it is a perfectly suitable replacement for the OEM battery

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I don’t think anyone has been saying that you must use the OEM battery

i agree skylarking did say "factory recommended" but that will be the acdelco part if the factory recommends it so i would guess he means the proper type of battery and he is correct of course.

as for the century ones we use them in everything from passenger vehicles, trucks, loaders, excavators etc etc on the mine sites and they are the best imo because we get the best results with them so if century specifies a type for the ve/vf i just go with it because they have a very good track record with us.

i guess my whole point is that there are other alternatives to the acdelco parts that work just as well if not better.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ I‘m not saying one must buy AC Delco sealed maintenance free calcium flooded battery as any aftermarket battery that meets Holdens specification would be fine. So put it down to poorly worded. I’m saying you just use a SMF calcium flooded battery if you want the charging system to work (optimally) with it.

But, one can use a non calcium battery if they choose. However, when using such a battery, it will suffer degradation via the desulphation and the gasping modes the battery charging system uses. As such, non calcium batteries may last the length of a 24 or 36 month warranty but I doubt one would see 6 years of life out of them in a VF (which is not uncommon with SMF calcium batteries as I understand).

Pity the Century web site does not clearly state the technology their batteries actually use. The DIN65LH MF product sheet says mum on such (so we don’t know it’s a SMF calcium flooded battery or not). Heck, Century may know this battery is non optimal and they may know the battery will expire soon after the warranty passes if used in a VF but they may not care as their business is to sell batteries.

I’d be curious how long the DIN65LH MF last in a VF.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
All the information i can find points to all of the century flooded smf batteries being calcium which is what makes them properly "maintenance free" with a suggested absorption charge voltage of 14.8v but that is on a charger not in a running vehicle so i would expect a slightly higher voltage in the vehicle.

The difference between the 2 batteries is the factory one made with lead calcium silver alloy and the century is made with lead calcium alloy but both are calcium type flooded batteries and they both will vent outside of the vehicle.