Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to interpret Battery Voltage reading vs. battery life

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
What is a "clutch-start"?
Be it noted though that the VF is one-touch start; it does not need to have the button continuously pushed to start the car. Just press, release and it will start after typically 2 cranks.
Yes that's correct. But, if you push the button and hold it in for several seconds, it will go into ignition on mode. Give it a try.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
again where are you people getting the idea it is venting into the boot?
I can’t speak for others but Century’s own web site isn’t very good at providing specifications for a specific battery. So they are not doing themselves any favours. In this case they state that their DIN65LH MF has a central venting but don’t elaborate where the vent port is located (left, right or both) and whether any port adapter is supplied to connect battery and vent tube. I’ll blame Century for any confusion due to a general lack of info ;)
..you are being told these cool stories by people invested in you buying the acdelco replacement and if you want to fall for that bs thats fine...
Hope this wasn’t directed at me :rolleyes: All I can say is that I have no vested interests in seeing any increase in any OEM part sales for any OEM. I’m a fan of the cheapest available part that will do the job to spec. Heck, even if a cheaper after market part won’t last as long as a higher priced OEM part, I don’t have a problem with using such as long as this shorter life is known up front so it can be factored into the cost equation :p
... but again the original comment i replied to was "you must use the factory battery" which is not correct...
The actual quote was “you must use the factory recommended sealed calcium battery” which you interpreted as you must use an AC delco battery. I can see how you interpreted it that way, so yes, I probably should have worded it better. Such is life...

As is, I only wanted to clarify the VE/VF uses a clever computer controlled charging mechanism to keep batteries in an optimum state of charge. And for this reason one can’t use old knowledge to look a battery voltage within DIC and work out how healthy their battery is. And I also wanted to convey that this charge system can’t be customised for different battery chemistries, so one must stick to a battery using same chemistry specs as the factory battery, if they want optimum battery charge control that such a system provides.
..the century battery for the vf is specified by them and comes with a 10 year warranty and imo they last longer than the acdelco junk the vehicle comes with.
The battery you linked to only showed 2 year (24 month) warranty so not sure where the 10 year warranty comes from? I’d be happy with a 10 year battery warranty :)
All the information i can find points to all of the century flooded smf batteries being calcium which is what makes them properly "maintenance free" with a suggested absorption charge voltage of 14.8v but that is on a charger not in a running vehicle so i would expect a slightly higher voltage in the vehicle.
0.7 volts greater? Admittedly the 15.5V desulphation mode doesn’t run very long so maybe that’s ok (I’m not a battery chemist/scientist).
The difference between the 2 batteries is the factory one made with lead calcium silver alloy and the century is made with lead calcium alloy but both are calcium type flooded batteries and they both will vent outside of the vehicle.
Great info, if only Century (and AC Delco for that matter) could get off their arse and make it easier for potential customers to find such pearls of information, that would be great :p

Obviously, some stage down the road, I’ll need a new battery so I’m curious what your findings are with the Century DIN65LH MF batteries length of life?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes that's correct. But, if you push the button and hold it in for several seconds, it will go into ignition on mode. Give it a try.
I thought by holding down the ignition button for several seconds, the system goes into accessory mode, not ignition mode?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
;)
Hope this wasn’t directed at me :rolleyes: All I can say is that I have no vested interests in seeing any increase in any OEM part sales
No i was talking about how a dealer or manufacturer will say only x brand part will work.

The battery you linked to only showed 2 year
You are right i dont know what i was thinking of when i referenced the 10.

0.7 volts greater
Being that they are both calcium it wouldnt matter.

what your findings are with the Century DIN65LH MF batteries length of life?
The current one in the ssv 3.5 years.
In other ve/vf models since 2007 or so i have been using them as one of the first things i change is the battery because i get them through the business for next to nothing.

Interestingly enough the colorado has a lead calcium alloy battery from the factory and its charging system will frequently report 15+v.

I think you will find the the confusion is in using a non sealed/maintenance free battery in the vf because from what can find all of the flooded smf batteries are lead calcium alloy which is what enables them to be sealed or maintenance free.
So one should make sure they never use a traditional non sealed battery in a modern vehicle.

I wonder how a agm or gel battery would go.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... I wonder how a agm or gel battery would go.
I have a vague recollection of a forum discussion about an AGM battery in a US commodore variant.

The bigger issue is if Holden has a specific BMC calibration file to adjust the charge logic for a specific battery chemistry. If so, just because AGM was supplied in USA doesn’t mean we can use if within our commodores.

It would have been nice if Holden exposed the battery calibration settings via MyLink so that owners could update required details like chemistry, capacity & reserve current when replacing their batteries :cool:

(edited) this post reference AGM battery in Chevy SS.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
="Skylarking, post: 3061082, member: 163429"]I thought by holding down the ignition button for several seconds, the system goes into accessory mode, not ignition mode?

What is being referred to there??
One press, no foot on brake = ACC/ON; One press, foot on brake = START. I have never heard of the press for several seconds for ignition or what...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
It would have been nice if Holden exposed the battery calibration settings via MyLink so that owners could update required details like chemistry, capacity & reserve current when replacing their batteries :cool:

that is a really good idea because then we could use gel batteries which charge at a peak of 14.4 and they last a lot longer than the flooded ones.
i use optima yellow tops in my 4x4 secondary charging system and they are brilliant and the batteries are close to 10 years old now and still work fine but i suspect that due to the age they will be eol soon.

on the chev agm optima recommends this agm yellow top for the chev ss so i wonder if it will be applicable here.
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-...e=Chevrolet&model=SS&engine=V8-6.2L&find=find

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)

Maaaaate, I often have to make a quick getaway: it's get in, belt up, press once and boogie.:)

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
What is being referred to there??
One press, no foot on brake = ACC/ON; One press, foot on brake = START. I have never heard of the press for several seconds for ignition or what...
A 4 to 5 second press , no foot on brake will put it in ignition , handy for listening to the radio longer than the Mylink timer particularly when eating Maccas in the car , the timer is just not long enough , also handy for upgrading firmware/maps on Mylink or after market devices such as after market head unit and dash cams where you need the electrical system on for a period of time without it turning off and without leaving the car running

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute

From what I recall it's:

One press, foot off brake - ACC on
One press, foot on brake - start
Long press, foot off brake - IGN on