Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to interpret torque numbers

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Hi all, had a few mods added to my car recently and a dyno tune. I am trying to interpret the torque figures but can't. As you can see below the at wheel torque figures are way higher than you would expect for a V6. Stock it should make 350nm at the flywheel.

I believe some dynos read high rear wheel torque figures because of the type of dyno they are. How can I break this down into something that relates normal torque numbers?
20220402_215313.jpg
20220402_215354.jpg

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
would have been good to see the graph of torque as well not just the hp readings

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Torque is multiplied by the driveline. Even when you do a power run in the appropriate gear which makes the transmission 1:1 you still have the diff ratio and then the tire diameter, tyre squish on the rollers which all effect actual power readings and hence torque.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
alot of places also use the estimated engine torque value on dynos as it looks better than rear wheel, your torque is prob on that graph but the scaling isn't high enough to see it need the twin axis scale

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Torque is multiplied by the driveline. Even when you do a power run in the appropriate gear which makes the transmission 1:1 you still have the diff ratio and then the tire diameter, tyre squish on the rollers which all effect actual power readings and hence torque.
That makes it even more complex, lol

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
I ended up doing some simplified calcs to try and estimate as best I can what I think the engine torque figure would be. If the standard run was 497nm at the rear wheels then in theory that should equal 350nm at the engine. Just did some basic division and multiplication and came to 386nm. Don't know if near actual or not but probably not a bad guesstimate.