Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to jack a VX, wrong way and the right way.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Its a lot easier and safer to just make a small ramp out of pieces of scrap timber to drive up on. I just use some board about 35mm thick. Put the longest piece on the bottom and a bit shorter bit on top and then another shorter piece on top of that if you need to go higher. Your car cant fall down this way.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I used the gutter on my street back in the day, worked a treat. Totally agree with ramps, that's all I use now, customised to avoid bumper scrapes. Can't beat the peace of mind.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yeap, Gutter oil changes are what it's all about.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Its a lot easier and safer to just make a small ramp out of pieces of scrap timber to drive up on. I just use some board about 35mm thick. Put the longest piece on the bottom and a bit shorter bit on top and then another shorter piece on top of that if you need to go higher. Your car cant fall down this way.

I was originally thinking about buying ramp and doing it that way. It's just because the car is so low i didn't think the ramps at supercheap would suffice. Anyway, i'd rather the experience and learn how to properly jack everything up and eventually use it to work on the suspension, brakes, ect..

I used the gutter on my street back in the day, worked a treat. Totally agree with ramps, that's all I use now, customised to avoid bumper scrapes. Can't beat the peace of mind.

Yeap, Gutter oil changes are what it's all about.

I'd rather use stands, don't really wanna be laying down in a gutter if i don't have to, haha.

But it's a suitable alternative.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon

Can you do an oil change when the car is on ramps? Won't The oil pool at the rear of the sump? Last time I did mine I reversed the rear wheels onto ramps with a chock half way up, the jacked the front up to be level.

Also, to make this thread more useful, last time I change my oil I notice some Orange stuff around the thread (Rubber? sealant?) and thought nothing of it. Now my plug looks a bit tired so I have a new one for the next change, but it is bare. Should I be putting something on the thread or using a washer to prevent leakage?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Can you do an oil change when the car is on ramps? Won't The oil pool at the rear of the sump? Last time I did mine I reversed the rear wheels onto ramps with a chock half way up, the jacked the front up to be level.

Also, to make this thread more useful, last time I change my oil I notice some Orange stuff around the thread (Rubber? sealant?) and thought nothing of it. Now my plug looks a bit tired so I have a new one for the next change, but it is bare. Should I be putting something on the thread or using a washer to prevent leakage?

I don't use anything for an oil change, I have a really flat 10L drain tray, so I can nose it down my driveway which has a slight downward gradient, reach under and pop the plug.

For everything else though ramps and chocks. Otherwise I borrow a mates hoist. Personally I can't stand stands, lol. But in all seriousness it can limit the type of work you can do beyond a corner or an end, pretty much anything that involves bashing, pulling levering or rocking the car.

Yes, I believe you should have a copper washer on the Eco, well, mine does.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I don't use anything for an oil change, I have a really flat 10L drain tray, so I can nose it down my driveway which has a slight downward gradient, reach under and pop the plug.

For everything else though ramps and chocks. Otherwise I borrow a mates hoist. Personally I can't stand stands, lol. But in all seriousness it can limit the type of work you can do beyond a corner or an end, pretty much anything that involves bashing, pulling levering or rocking the car.

How do you do the filter? Last change I did I had to crawl under to change it, couldn't have done it on the ground. I've also found the car to be pretty sturdy when on stands, I did my control arms with no issues, and that involved a lot of bashing.

And bugger, looks like I'll have to find a washer before my next change. I bought a new plug at Holden and it didn't come with one.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV

Yeah, i didn't use anything on my VX Berlina V6 with stock suspension. But the LS1 has a bash plate which is mounted on the cross-member which covers half of it with 2 screws and my car is less than 50mm off the ground in the front.

I would've though you wouldn't be getting all of the oil out when using ramps, but it would only be a minuscule amount you miss out on. You could just pour some oil through while draining it and it should push it out.

+1 for the washer, mine has one too.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
ok fellas I think enough is said about this!!!
I've always jacked the passenger side only , place pan in place, undo the bolt , lower jack allow to drain ( don't forget to warm the engine first) jack it back up remove oil filter , replace with new oil filter ( put some Vaseline on seal ) put the bolt back in then lower the car top it up with good oil 15-40 , that's it, simple. no need for stands or ramps.